Given the huge success of both Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens and Rogue One, it would be surprising if Disney didn’t continue with saga and anthology films after 2020, when the last currently scheduled Star Wars movie will open in cinemas.
The next few years are booked up as follows:
Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (15 December, 2017)
Untitled Han Solo Anthology film (25 May, 2018)
Episode XI (2019)
Untitled Anthology film (previously expected to be about Boba Fett, 2020)
But what will come after that?
"We’re starting talk about what could happen after Episode IX. About what could be another decade-and-a-half of Star Wars stories," Disney CEO Bob Iger said on Thursday during a talk in Santa Monica.
A decade-and-a-half is a lot, suggesting that the studio is looking not to continue with a few spin-off films but establish a whole new central storyline.
During the talk, Iger also revealed new details about the Han Solo film, and confirmed that The Last Jedi has not been altered in light of Carrie Fisher’s death.
"When we bought Lucasfilm, we were going to make three films — Episodes VII, VIII and IX," he said.
"We had to deal with tragedy at the end of 2016. Carrie appears throughout VIII. We are not changing VIII to deal with her passing. Her performance remains as it is in VIII. In Rogue One, we had some digital character. We are not doing that with Carrie."
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies