Prince Charles ‘frustrated’ The Crown keeps dredging up past, says royal expert

Royal family member is facing fresh criticism for treatment of Princess Diana

Jacob Stolworthy
Monday 07 December 2020 09:48
Comments
The Crown season 4 trailer
Leer en Español

As The Crown gets nearer to the present day, Prince Charles is becoming increasingly frustrated rather than threatened by the hit Netflix, a royal expert has claimed.

Last month saw the royal drama return for a fourth season, which charts events from 1977 to 1990.

Charles, played by Josh O’Connor, is a large focus of the new episodes thanks to his strained marriage to Princess Diana (Emma Corrin).

The show, which has been Netflix’s most-watched title for weeks, has seen a renewed interest in Diana, with many wondering if the show’s depiction is close to what actually happened.

It’s also led to fresh criticism of Charles for his treatment of the Princess. Charles’ wife, Camilla Parker Bowles, is also facing a backlash from online trolls.

Royal expert Kate Nicholl has said that she is “absolutely sure” the “sudden revived interest” in Diana isn’t worrying Charles.

“I'm absolutely sure he doesn't see that sudden revived interest in her as a threat at all,” she told 9Honey, adding: “I think [there’s] more a frustration that the past keeps getting dredged up when he is trying to move forward.”

This echoes the words of royal family member David Bowes-Lyon, whose father was a first cousin of the Queen Mother once removed.

Addressing the family’s views on the show last week, he said: “I wouldn’t say there is upset in the family, but I think people are frustrated and would like the record put straight.”

Depiction of Prince Charles in ‘The Crown’ is ‘frustrating’ royals, according to expert

In recent weeks, many people have criticised Peter Morgan’s show for taking artistic licence with several moments in history.

Diana’s brother, Earl Spencer, voiced his own concerns with the fact that some people view the fabricated show as a “history lesson” with others – including Princess Margaret star Helena Bonham Carter – calling for Netflix to add disclaimers to the beginning of episodes telling viewers events have been fabricated for television. 

The streaming service has since said it won’t be doing this.  

Find a rundown of the new season’s accuracy here.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in