Barry Chuckle dead: Comedy duo Chuckle Brothers were reportedly set to enter Celebrity Big Brother 2018

Barry - one-half of the entertaining duo - has passed away aged 73

Jacob Stolworthy@Jacob_Stol
Sunday 05 August 2018 13:02
comments
ChuckleVision - A clip from the children's tv show starring Barry and Paul Chuckle

The Chuckle Brothers were reportedly set to enter the Celebrity Big Brother house.

According to sources, the entertainers were being lined up to appear in the new series which is scheduled to begin later this month.

“Yes, there was interest in getting the Chuckle Brothers involved in the show,” a source told OK! Online. “Everyone in Britain knows them and loves them, but nothing had been put down in stone to confirm their involvement.”

The news comes after Barry Chuckle - real name Barry Elliott - passed away aged 73.

Manager Phil Dale said in a statement: “It is with great sadness that the family announce that Barry passed away peacefully at his home surrounded by his wife Ann and all his family.”

His comedy partner Paul said: “I've not just lost my brother, I've lost my theatrical partner of many, many years and my very best friend.”

The duo, who received their big break on talent show Opportunity Knocks in 1967, are best known for BBC show ChuckleVision which ran from 1987 to 2009. Their famous catchphrases included “To me, to you.”

In recent years, they made numerous appearances at nightclubs and student events, signing autographs and posing for photographs up and down the country,

Celebrity Big Brother returns to Channel 5 on 16 August. Rumoured contestants include singer Sinitta, TV presenter Noel Edmonds and Hollywood star Kirstie Alley.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments