Caroline Flack defies advice to avoid social media with message ahead of assault trial: ‘I have a story to tell’

‘I’m a human being at the end of the day and I’m not going to be silenced,’ says former Love Island host

Roisin O'Connor@Roisin_OConnor
Wednesday 25 December 2019 10:33
Caroline Flack leaves court after pleading not guilty to assault

Former Love Island host Caroline Flack has said she is “not going to be silenced” as she revealed she had been advised to avoid social media.

The 40-year-old is awaiting trial on an assault charge. She is alleged to have hit her partner Lewis Burton, 27, over the head with a lamp, causing injury.

Flack told her 2.3 million Instagram followers: “Been advised not to go on social media ... but I wanted to say happy Christmas to everyone who has been so incredibly kind to me this year….. this kind of scrutiny and speculation is a lot to take on for one person to take on their own...

“I’m a human being at the end of the day and I’m not going to be silenced when I have a story to tell and a life to keep going with…” she continued.

“I’m taking some time out to get feeling better and learn some lessons from situations I’ve got myself into to. I have nothing but love to give and best wishes for everyone.”

Flack accompanied the message with a photo of herself smiling.

On Monday 23 December, Flack pleaded not guilty to assault at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court.

She was arrested and charged with assault by beating after police were called to her flat in Islington, north London, on 12 December.

The alleged attack was said to have occurred after Flack found texts on her boyfriend’s phone while he was asleep. The messages reportedly led her to believe he was cheating on her.

Burton, a professional tennis player and model, does not support the prosecution and insists he is not a victim.

He has previously spoken out in support of the presenter and claimed she became the subject of a “witch hunt” following her arrest.

Flack was released on bail with conditions that stop her having any contact with Burton ahead of a trial on 4 March.

Her duties as Love Island host have been taken over by Irish TV presenter Laura Whitmore, who will present the reality contest and its companion show Aftersun. Filming commences in South Africa in January 2020.

Additional reporting by Press Association