The Independent’s journalism is supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission.

Lost reboot: ABC boss 'dreams' of bringing US drama back – 'I would like that very much'

'I do often get asked the question what show would I reboot and often my answer is Lost'

Jacob Stolworthy@Jacob_Stol
Wednesday 06 February 2019 10:00
comments
Evangeline Lilly interview: 'After Lost, I don’t trust I can be safe doing nude scenes'

The network that broadcast Lost has discussed whether it would reboot the US series – and it’s not exactly a yes or a no.

During a Television Critics Association (TCA) panel on Tuesday night, the audience were shown a sizzle reel that included footage of Matthew Fox’s character Jack Shephard shouting fampus quote, “We have to go back”.

A reporter seized the opportunity to ask the channel’s programming chief Karey Burke whether a reboot could happen on her watch.

“I would like that very much – that is a reboot I would be interested in seeing,” Burke said.

Despite this, Burke told The Hollywood Reporter that there are no plans to reboot Lost at this stage.

“It’s literally at this point just what I dream about when I go to bed at night,“ she said, adding that she’s not spoken to executive producer carlton Cuse or co-creator JJ Abrams about the prospect.

“But I do often get asked the question what show would I reboot and often my answer is Lost — sometimes Alias. Nothing to report yet. Maybe ever. But it would be a fun thing to have a conversation about.”

Those hoping for a return to the mystical island filled with hostiles, hatches and Hurley may have to wait a bit longer, although Cuse and co-creator Damon Lindelof have previously said they expect a reboot to occur at some stage in the future – but they won’t be attached.

In 2017, Cuse was reported as saying: “Damon and I are pretty adamant about the fact that we don’t have any intentions of rebooting Lost. I know that there are a lot of shows that have been rebooted lately, but we are not on that path.“

“[I] hope that when that happens, whoever is doing it, doesn’t take the characters from the original Lost and put them in the new one. Because we worked so hard to end that show and to give [the survivors] some level of closure. I know there was some debate as to whether or not there was enough closure.

Independent Minds Q&A session on the Middle East, Trump, Syria and Isis

Cuse wrote Lost alongside co-creator Damon Lindelof until its series finale in 2010. Lindelof went on to oversee HBO’s little-seen standout The Leftovers which drew to a conclusion in 2017 after a season many hailed as one of the greatest in recent memory. He’ll next tackle an adaptation of Watchmen for the premium cable service.yyyy

If you’re a longtime fan of Lost or simply looking for a new series to start, subscribe to new podcast The LOST Boys following two of our writers’ respective journey watching from the very beginning – one for the first time, the other for the eighth.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments