Neil deGrasse Tyson: New sexual misconduct allegations to be investigated by Fox and National Geographic

Astrophysicist has been accused of groping and inappropriate sexual advances

Christopher Hooton
Saturday 01 December 2018 09:49
comments

The producers and networks behind Cosmos have promised to review new sexual misconduct allegations levelled against host Neil deGrasse Tyson, vowing to “follow the evidence” just as the show does.

“We have only just become aware of the recent allegations regarding Neil deGrasse Tyson,” Fox and National Geographic said in a joint statement to Deadline. “We take these matters very seriously and we are reviewing the recent reports.”

Two women have stepped forward with fresh claims against deGrasse Tyson. Dr Katelyn N Allers, Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Bucknell University, claims that Tyson groped her at an American Astronomical Society after-party in 2009, while Tyson’s former assistant Ashley Watson said his inappropriate sexual advances forced her to quit her job.

These voices are added to that of Tchiya Amet, who last year accused the Cosmos host of raping her while they were both grad students.

“The credo at the heart of Cosmos is to follow the evidence wherever it leads,” the producers of the show said in a statement. “The producers of Cosmos can do no less in this situation. We are committed to a thorough investigation of this matter and to act accordingly as soon as it is concluded.”

A new season of Cosmos is set to premiere on 3 March.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments