Pregnant teenager Neysi Perez 'wakes up in coffin' a day after her funeral

Neysi Perez had recently married and was buried in her wedding dress

Serina Sandhu
Wednesday 26 August 2015 08:31
Neysi Perez was reportedly buried alive
Neysi Perez was reportedly buried alive

A pregnant teenager's family smashed open her concrete tomb when they believed they heard her screaming the day after she was buried, it has been reported.

Video showed relatives of Neysi Perez, from Honduras, desperately hammering at the concrete surrounding her coffin.

They reportedly found the glass viewing window in the 16-year-old's coffin had been smashed and her fingertips were bruised.

Neysi's family rushed her to hospital, but medics found no sign of life and could not revive her. The teenager, who had been three-months pregnant, was later reburied in the same mausoleum in La Entrada General Cemetery.

Video footage from TV news channel Primer Impacto shows the family trying to break open the concrete tomb.

Video showed relatives of Neysi Perez, from Honduras, desperately hammering at the concrete surrounding her coffin

She had been buried in the wedding dress she recently wore to her wedding. It was her husband, Rudy Gonzales, who reportedly heard her banging from inside the coffin when he was visiting her grave.

He told TV news Primer Impacto: “As I put my hand on her grave I could hear noises inside. I heard banging, then I heard a voice. She was screaming for help.”

Mr Gonzales said: “It had already been a day since we buried her. I couldn’t believe it. I was ecstatic, full of hope.”

Neysi Perez had been buried in the wedding dress she recently wore to her wedding

Neysi's mother, Maria Gutierrez, said her daughter was still warm when she touched her.

“We were all so happy. After being declared dead for such a long time, everybody was saying that she had come back to life. We were all so happy. I thought I was going to get my daughter back,” she told Primer Impacto.

Ms Gutierrez believes her daughter was alive when she was first buried.

Perez had initially suffered an apparent panic attack outside her home in La Entrada following a burst of gunfire. When she started foaming at the mouth, her parents believed she had become possessed by an evil spirit and called the local priest to perform an exorcism.

When she became lifeless, she was taken to hospital where doctors pronounced her dead. She was then buried at the cemetery.

Doctors believe that the panic attack temporarily stopped Neysi's heart or she had a cataplexy attack, which is the sudden temporary loss of voluntary muscle function normally set off by extreme stress or fear.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in