Mother warns parents after baby girl suffocates from teddy bear in her sleep

'It's my biggest regret in life'

Sarah Young
Friday 20 April 2018 11:43 BST
(Getty Images/iStockphoto)

A mother whose baby daughter suffocated in her sleep under a large teddy bear is warning parents of the danger of soft toys.

Dexy Leigh Walsh, from Dundee, discovered that her 18-month-old daughter, Connie Rose, died in her sleep on March 6.

The grieving mother says she stuffed the side of her daughter’s bed with teddy bears to prevent her from falling between the mattress and the wall – something she now describes as her “biggest regret in life.”

Walsh has now launched an online campaign, the Connie Rose Awareness Facebook page, in a bid to warn other parents of the dangers of leaving cuddly toys in children’s beds overnight.

Reliving the experience on Facebook, she wrote: "On the 6th March 8.01am 2018 my life changed, I woke up to get my oldest ready for school to find my youngest baby had passed away.

“I have been blaming myself as she passed away due to suffocation as I had packed down the side of her bed with teddy’s and placed a big one on top of the smaller teddy’s to stop her from falling down the side of her bed, and she did exactly that but as it was all teddy bears she went under the massive teddy and fell asleep with the angels [sic].

"All I think about now is what if I just left it empty she would still be here maybe with just a small bump on her head. It’s all what ifs now.

“I want every parent to see and be aware of this. Let them fall don’t try to stuff small places up with soft things just leave it empty. Please move everything off your kids bed and away from the sides.

“I really hope my little princesses tragic story can save someone else babies life [sic].”

A spokesperson for The Lullaby Trust - a British charitable organisation aiming to prevent unexpected deaths in infancy – said: “The Lullaby Trust would like to extend its condolences to the family at this difficult time.

“We advise that a baby’s sleeping space is kept as clear as possible, with no pillows, duvets, soft toys or cot bumpers.

“Unnecessary items in a cot can increase the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) if a baby’s head becomes covered. Items such as soft toys and cot bumpers can also increase the risk of accidents.

“Our safer sleep advice relating to reducing the risk of SIDS is relevant for babies under 12 months, after this age it is down to parental choice, but we are aware that some parents continue to follow safer sleep guidance after 12 months.”

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in