Beyoncé pulls Ivy Park clothing line from Topshop amid Philip Green sexual harassment claims

The high street store is expected to fulfil exisitng orders

Sarah Young
Thursday 15 November 2018 10:35
Comments

Beyoncé has officially cut ties with Sir Philip Green, revealing that her clothing line, Ivy Park, will no longer be sold at Topshop.

The US singer launched the athleisure clothing brand alongside the high street store back in 2016.

However in recent weeks, the star has ben pressured by fans to withdraw from the commercial partnership in response to the allegations against the 66-year-old businessman.

In October, the retail tycoon was named in Parliament as the person accused of inappropriate conduct, including sexual harassment, bullying and racial abuse.

In a statement released to the Mail Online, Beyoncé’s company, Parkwood Entertainment, announced that it is now the sole owner of Ivy Park.

Previously, the partnership with Topshop was equal with both companies reportedly owning 50 per cent each.

A spokesperson said: “After discussions of almost a year, Parkwood has acquired 100 percent of the Ivy Park brand.

“Topshop/Arcadia will fulfill the existing orders”.

The sum which Parkwood has acquired the remaining share of Ivy Park for has not been disclosed.

Following Green’s alleged misconduct, a number of activists called upon the performer to axe the successful collaboration.

Speaking to The Independent, broadcaster Jasmine Dotiwala explained why Beyoncé’s brand is at odds with Green’s alleged misconduct, which he strongly denies.

“Her brand is all about empowering women and marginalised communities, particularly speaking up for black community issues. Thus, the two don’t sit well.

“Brands should consider very carefully the reputation of those they get in bed with.”

Similarly, Yasmeen Hassan, of campaign group Equality Now, agrees, told The Sunday Times: “Beyoncé has put herself forward as a women’s rights activist. She and her team need to look closely at these allegations.”

Beyoncé isn’t the first high profile celebrity to cut ties with Green.

Earlier this week, Simon Cowell confirmed that the businessman has been forced out of his company, Syco Entertainment, in the wake of the scandal surrounding his use of non-disclosure agreements.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in