Blowfish can be lethal if toxins in its organs are released
Blowfish can be lethal if toxins in its organs are released

Deregulating sale of blowfish 'is putting lives at risk'

Fugu's active ingredient is tetrodotoxin, a poision many times more poisonous than cyanide

David McNeill
Wednesday 04 April 2012 08:03
Comments

It's ugly, expensive and poisonous enough to induce respiratory paralysis and death, but the blowfish has long been one of the more desirable items on Japanese seafood menus.

Good restaurants in central Tokyo charge nearly £100 a pop for a sashimi meal of fugu, the Japanese name for one of nature's most toxic treats.

Japanese fugu chefs are an exclusive guild, licensed to carefully gut the fish of the liver, ovaries and other parts where the poison lurks.

Now in a move that has sent some blowfish restaurants into toxic shock, Tokyo's government says it is deregulating the trade, allowing the fish to be sold in premises without a licensed chef. "Regulations no longer meet the needs of contemporary fugu distribution," sniffed an official with the government's public health bureau.

Fugu lovers have for years been bypassing the capital's licensed – and expensive – eateries by ordering from other parts of the country where the fish is freely available. The licensing system, which forces chefs to train for at least two years, is outdated and costly, say opponents.

"The strict regulations have protected Tokyo's fugu industry, and this has kept the fish's prices high," restaurant-chain owner Daichi Sakamoto told the Yomiuri newspaper.

Some Tokyo proprietors warn, however, that deregulation could backfire. "I think the government needs to be aware that people still die from eating this fish," said the proprietor of the Genpin Fugu restaurant in Tokyo's Shinjuku district. "It's very odd to take chances with lives just to save a bit of money."

Fugu's active ingredient is tetrodotoxin, a poison many times more toxic than cyanide – it reportedly induces paralysis while the victim stays wide-eyed and conscious.

Over the years, hundreds of people have died after dining on the chewy white meat. Fatalities peaked after the Second World War when starving Japanese riffled restaurant rubbish bins for food. Fugu restaurants pushed for the government licensing system, which was introduced in 1949. Since then, poisonings have fallen to the current 20 or so a year, mainly by people gutting and cooking the fish at home.

"I'll rather pay a bit extra to be safe," says Masaru Kondo, a fugu veteran.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in