Huawei accuses Trump administration of 'menacing' employees and hacking computers

Chinese tech giant denies patent infringement and alleges US government instructed FBI to 'threaten, menace, coerce, entice, and incite' its employees

Anthony Cuthbertson
Tuesday 03 September 2019 15:40
Comments
Chief executive of Huawei says that Donald Trump has helped them to 'open the doors to a larger market'

Huawei has staunchly denied accusations that it stole US patents for its smartphone design and accused the US government of carrying out an “unscrupulous” campaign against its employees.

The Chinese technology giant was responding to a probe by the US Department of Justice into the alleged theft of smartphone camera patents from Portuguese inventor Rui Pedro Oliveira.

In a media statement, Huawei said it ”categorically rejects” the claims and accused Mr Oliveira of “taking advantage of the current geopolitical situation” in an attempt to extort money from the company.

Huawei has been caught up in an escalating trade war between the US and China and earlier this year it was placed on the US government’s so-called Entity List, which prevents US companies from doing business with the world’s second largest smartphone maker.

Huawei blamed this situation on the criminal investigation pursued by the DOJ on behalf of Mr Oliveira.

“For the past several months, the US government has been leveraging its political and diplomatic influence to lobby other governments to ban Huawei equipment,” the statement read. “Furthermore, it has been using every tool at its disposal – including both judicial and administrative powers, as well as a host of other unscrupulous means – to disrupt the normal business operations of Huawei and its partners.”

Methods that Huawei accused the US government of using to disrupt its business include instructing law enforcement to "threaten, menace, coerce, entice, and incite" current and former employees to turn against the company.

The US allegedly denied visas to Huawei workers, detained shipments at ports, and used undercover operatives to pose as Huawei employees to establish legal pretence for unfounded accusations against the company.

The US is also accused of launching cyber attacks against Huawei in order to infiltrate the firm's intranet and internal communication systems.

"None of the accusations levied by the US government have been supported with sufficient evidence," Huawei's statement concluded.

"We strongly condemn the malign, concerted efforts by the US government to discredit Huawei and curb its leadership position in the industry."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in