Cadbury Mini Egg warning issued by grieving mother after daughter chokes to death

'I tried in vain to save her'

Sarah Young
Monday 05 March 2018 14:50
comments
St John Ambulance: What to do if someone is choking

A grieving mother has issued a warning to parents after her daughter choked to death while eating a Cadbury’s Mini Egg.

The unnamed woman shared a powerful post about the tragic death of her little girl on parenting advice website Mums Advice.

“With Easter coming up I want to warn you all about another deadly choking hazard, one that tragically took away my child,” she wrote.

“It has been just short of three years since my precious little girl Sophie passed away.

“She had choked on a Mini Egg and I was unable to dislodge it, even with back slaps and pushing up under her ribs. I had done a first aid course six months prior to this event so all the techniques to help a choking child were still fresh in my mind but it didn’t help.

“I watched the light slip from my baby’s eyes, I tried in vain to save her.”

The concerned mother goes on to say that she has read many other posts on Facebook by parents who have had similar experiences and urges others to watch their children carefully while eating the sweet.

“If your children enjoy these chocolate treats please watch them extra close and remind them to sit down whilst eating them or avoid them altogether.

“Please parents be careful I would hate to know another child had been harmed by these Easter treats. If just one person reads this and watches their toddler, child or teen extra close when eating these my daughter’s death will not be in vain.

“Please watch your babies,” she concluded.

The mother’s stark warning prompted many others to share their own stories on the website.

“My son was around five when he was in his car seat nibbling on them and then he began to choke. Hate to imagine how many kids have been unlucky,” one person wrote.

Another added: “This happened to my son at around four years old. Fortunately I managed to get it out with the Heimlich manoeuvre as the back slap wasn’t working.

“I remember his lips turning blue. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.”

In response to the woman’s emotional post, Cadbury’s told The Independent: “We were saddened by this tragic event as the safety of our customers is of the upmost importance to us.

"We ensure that all of our Cadbury Mini Eggs packaging very clearly carries the following warning: Choking Hazard: This product is Not suitable for children under four.”

Isobel Kearl, national training officer for St John Ambulance added: “Anything of that size can be a choking hazard so we would encourage parents to cut up their child’s food into small (lengthwise) pieces and be vigilant at all times; especially when children are eating.

“Knowing basic first aid can have an incredible impact. Armed with this knowledge parents will be able to stop panicking and gain the confidence to take action quickly. Ensuring that they are able to act if their child starts to choke.”

Here, St John Ambulance explains exactly what to do should your child start choking.

Baby (0-12 months)

Step 1: Slap it out

•Lay the baby face down along your thigh and support their head

•Give five back blows between their shoulder blades

•Turn them over and check their mouth each time

Step 2: Squeeze it out

• Using two fingers, give five sharp chest thrusts

• Check the mouth each time

Step 3: Call 999/112 for emergency help

•Take the baby with you to call

• Repeat the steps one and two until help arrives

Child

Step 1: Cough it out

• Encourage the child to keep coughing

Step 2: Slap it out

• Give five sharp back blows between the shoulder blades

• Check their mouth each time

Step 3: Squeeze it out

• Give five abdominal thrusts

• Check their mouth each time

Step 4: Call 999/112 for emergency help

• Repeat steps two and three until help arrives.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments