Police called to Harry and Meghan’s home nine times in as many months

Man was allegedly caught trespassing on property over Christmas

Louise Hall,Isabelle Aron
Thursday 08 April 2021 19:46
Comments
Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan: Tyler Perry paid for our security
Leer en Español

Police have been called to the California home of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry nine times in as many months, according to official data.

Authorities responded to calls listed as phone requests, alarm activations and property crimes at the $14m Montecito home, according to Data obtained under Freedom of Information (FOI) laws by the Press Association.

Prince Harry and Meghan moved into the property with one-year-old son Archie last year. They had previously been living in Los Angeles temporarily, after leaving Canada at the start of the pandemic.

The official figures come after Prince Harry told Oprah Winfrey in a bombshell interview about the security concerns he and his family have faced in recent years.

Officers were said to have been called four times in July last year after Prince Harry and Meghan moved in. The calls, which occurred in the early hours of the morning were reportedly listed as phone requests and “alarm activations”.

Read more:

All of the calls took place in the early hours of the morning.

A request in August was listed as “Misc Priority Incdnt”, while another alarm in November was also listed. Sheriff’s deputies were also said to have been called on Christmas Eve and on Boxing Day.

On Christmas Eve, the FOI data shows that sheriff’s deputies were called to the house at 4.13pm after a man was alleged to have trespassed.

TMZ reported in March that the Santa Barbara home was breached twice by an unwanted visitor in December. Nickolas Brooks, 37, was allegedly caught trespassing on the property of the family.

In a previous statement to The Independent, the Santa Barabara Sheriff’s Department confirmed the two trespassing incidents and Mr Brooks’s arrest. He was charged for misdemeanour trespassing and booked at the county jail.

The records show that the most recent call was an “alarm activation” at 2.21am on 16 February this year.

Security concerns mounted for the royal couple prior to them stepping back from duties. Meghan revealed that the couple learning their son would not receive security protection led them to their decision to step back.

In their tell-all interview with Oprah, the couple revealed that their official security detail had been removed, with Prince Harry saying he “never thought” that would happen.

“I was born into this position. I inherited the risk. So that was a shock to me,” he said.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in