Stay up to date with notifications from The Independent

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.

The Independent's journalism is supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission.

Harvey Weinstein accusers say he’s ‘trying to gaslight society’

‘He says in a new interview he doesn’t want to be forgotten. Well, he won’t be,’ say accusers, including Rose McGowan

Olivia Petter
Monday 16 December 2019 13:21 GMT
Comments
(Getty Images)

A group of 23 women, who accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct, have said the disgraced Hollywood producer is “trying to gaslight society” in a joint statement.

The letter was posted on Twitter by Times Up, an organisation that provides legal funding to victims of sexual harassment, and comes after Weinstein called himself “the forgotten man” in an interview with Page Six.

In the interview, Weinstein argued that he was a “pioneer” when it came to championing female directors and actors.

“I made more movies directed by women and about women than any filmmaker, and I’m talking about 30 years ago,” he said before adding that all of his efforts “got eviscerated because of what happened”.

Now, women including Rose McGowan and Rosanna Arquette, have said the Pulp Fiction producer will never be forgotten.

“Harvey Weinstein is trying to gaslight society again,” their statement begins. “He says in a new interview he doesn’t want to be forgotten. Well, he won’t be.”

Gaslighting is a term used to describe a psychological form of manipulation whereby the perpetrator undermines the victim’s confidence by challenging their perception of reality. It is common term in abusive domestic partnerships.

The statement goes on to say that Weinstein will be remembered “as a sexual predator and an unrepentant abuser who took everything and deserves nothing”.

The letter continues: “He will be remembered by the collective will of countless women who stood up and said enough. We refuse to let this predator rewrite his legacy of abuse.”

Weinstein's comments have sparked outrage on social media, too, with people taking issue with the fact that Page Six had given him a platform.

Weinstein, who goes to trial in New York on 6 January, has pleaded not guilty to charges he raped a woman in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and performed a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006.

The media mogul has denied any wrongdoing and pleaded not guilty to all claims of non-consensual sex.

Last week, a lawyer revealed that a $25m (£19m) settlement had been reached for more than two dozen actors and former employees who claimed Weinstein sexually harassed them.

Such a deal, the New York Times claims, “would not require the Hollywood producer to admit wrongdoing or pay anything to his accusers himself, according to lawyers involved in the negotiations”.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in