Simon Read: 'It went below the radar but you could be eligible for a tax break on your savings'

Anyone earning less than £15,600 qualifies but you need to register with your bank or building society first

Simon Read
Friday 27 March 2015 21:30
Less baggage: if your job pays under £15,600 a year, your savings could benefit from a tax change
Less baggage: if your job pays under £15,600 a year, your savings could benefit from a tax change

Do you earn less than £15,600 a year or know anyone who does? If so you – or they – will qualify for tax-free interest on your savings from early next week. The change comes into force on 6 April, the start of the new tax year – but to ensue you get your savings tax-free, you need to register with your bank or building society.

I wrote about the change a couple of weeks ago but am prompted to write about it again by reader Mrs C Hind of Shildon, Co Durham. She emailed to say: "I couldn't find any mention of this in the Budget speech, or in the newspapers day after.

"There was only a mention that, from next April, people will be able to get £1,000 of savings interest tax-free, regardless of the level of their income. Could you please clarify for your readers?"

Happy to do so. In fact the change that comes into force next month was introduced in the 2014 Budget. The Chancellor announced then that the Government is abolishing the 10 per cent starting rate of tax for savings, replacing it with a new 0 per cent rate.

It is also increasing the amount of savings to which the starting rate applies from £2,880 to £5,000. As a result, from 6 April, an estimated 1 million savers with an annual income under £15,600 will be able to get their savings interest paid completely free of tax.

Meanwhile ,a further 500,000 savers could also get back some of the tax they've paid on their savings interest.

If you're eligible for tax-free savings, you'll need to register your account with your bank or building society. Talk to your savings provider to find out how to do this, or complete an R85 form and submit this to your bank.

If you can reclaim tax you've paid on interest, you should complete form R40 or include the figure on your tax return if you have to complete one. Both forms can be downloaded from

Meanwhile, the Government has set up an online calculator to help you work out if you qualify for tax-free savings or some of the tax back on your interest. You'll find it at

Twitter: @simonnread

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in