CHAMPION JOCKEY Kieren Fallon has issued a High Court writ for compensation against Henry Cecil following his controversial dismissal by the flamboyant trainer earlier this year, it emerged yesterday.
Mr Fallon was dismissed with just five days' notice as stable jockey at Warren Place in July. The sacking, from what is considered as one of the best riders' jobs, followed newspaper claims that Mr Cecil's second wife, Natalie, had allegedly had an affair with an unnamed leading jockey. At the time Mr Cecil cited "personal reasons" for the dismissal. It left the racing world agog at the disagreement coming at a time when Cecil- trained horses ridden by Fallon were enjoying one of their most successful seasons. Fallon had won three of the four Classics on Cecil horses: the 1,000 Guineas on Wince, the Derby on Oath and the Oaks on Ramruma prior to his sacking
Now the 34-year-old triple champion jockey is suing his former boss alleging breach of contract over the manner in which he was given notice. Mr Fallon's solicitor, Christopher Stewart-Moore, said: "I can confirm a writ was lodged for breach of contract by Henry Cecil on Tuesday."
He said the writ was for an "unliquidated" sum to be decided by the High Court, covering both the remainder of Mr Fallon's season-long contract with Mr Cecil and other matters such as the jockey's share of future wins and his stake in stallions which might have increased in value.
The rift between the two men was fuelled during the summer by a spate of newspaper articles detailing 32-year-old Mrs Cecil's extra-marital affair. She later admitted adultery with "a friend".
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies