50 cent reveals he wants to work on Top Gear: 'I could save that show for sure'

He says the show has been 'unrecognisable' since the old team left 

Maya Oppenheim@mayaoppenheim
Monday 25 July 2016 13:21
comments
Evans left Top Gear after just one series as the main host alongside Matt LeBlanc
Evans left Top Gear after just one series as the main host alongside Matt LeBlanc

After Chris Evans quit Top Gear after just one series in the driving seat, there has been great speculation as to who will replace him.

50 Cent has now come forth and said he is keen to work on Top Gear and he is the person to "save" the show.

The 41-year-old rapper, whose real name is Curtis James Jackson III, boasted that there wasn’t a car he hadn’t owned and commended the programme as one of the world’s most iconic shows.

“I would love to work on Top Gear, I could save that show for sure, but it would cost them,” he told the Daily Star. “There ain’t a car I haven’t owned over the years, my car collection is as good as anybody’s out there.”

50 Cent said the show had changed beyond recognition in the new series and warned if it didn’t return to its old days it would struggle.

“The show since the old team left has been unrecognisable and if it don’t get back to where it should be soon then it may never recover,” he said.

Evans left Top Gear after just one series as the main host alongside Matt LeBlanc. The 50-year-old, who presents the popular BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show, received a great deal of criticism from fans for his brief stint on Top Gear and ratings fell during the new series.

But while 50 Cent might be keen to front the show, the BBC previously confirmed that the next series of Top Gear was unlikely to see any changes to the line-up going forward.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments