Street engulfed by blaze at warehouse

Friday 25 October 1996 23:02
comments

Eighteen families were left homeless after a fire at a warehouse engulfed their houses. Eight people were taken to hospital and more than 100 residents of Lightfoot Road, Chester, were evacuated as the blaze destroyed a Pickfords storage depot on the neighbouring Hoole Bridge industrial estate.

"The houses spontaneously combusted because of the intense heat," said a Cheshire Fire Service spokeswoman.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments