Boy George convicted of falsely imprisoning male escort

By Tim Moynihan,Pa
Friday 05 December 2008 11:53

Singer Boy George was convicted today of falsely imprisoning a male escort.

Norwegian Audun Carlsen, 29, said the musician beat him with a metal chain as he tried to escape from his flat after a naked photo shoot.

A jury at Snaresbrook Crown Court found that the case against the 46-year-old musician - being tried under his real name of George O'Dowd - had been made.

The star did not give evidence but the court heard he told police he handcuffed Mr Carlsen to his bed at his flat in Shoreditch, east London, on 28 April last year while he investigated alleged tampering with his computer.

He accused Mr Carlsen of obtaining photos of himself from his laptop, taken by O'Dowd when the pair met three months earlier.

He denied to police that he punched or assaulted Mr Carlsen or swung a chain at him as the escort fled the flat and suggested the bruises Mr Carlsen sustained could have been due to the fact that he was HIV positive.

The defence claimed that the dispute was over whether Mr Carlsen had stolen photographs and, in doing that, "messed up" O'Dowd's computer.

The suggestion that it was because Mr Carlsen refused to have sex with O'Dowd on the previous occasion was "entire fantasy or a lie", the defence said.

Mr Carlsen told the court that O'Dowd concocted the story about computer tampering so he could punish him for not having sex during the first meeting.

He said: "I think he couldn't handle the refusal - me not having sex with him."

He said O'Dowd performed unprotected oral sex on him for five seconds at the first meeting as he (Mr Carlsen) sat naked in a chair, but O'Dowd told police he was annoyed about that claim.

"I'd never have slept with someone who is HIV positive," he told police.

The prosecution said the pair made contact on the Gaydar website, a social networking site primarily for gay and bisexual men.

Prosecuting barrister Heather Norton said their first meeting seemed to be going well until the singer started to suspect Mr Carlsen of hacking into his computer.

But they parted on good terms and the singer paid the younger man £300 of the £400 they had agreed.

In the weeks that followed they exchanged emails in which the singer accused Mr Carlsen of breaking into his computer system.

But in later emails the singer said he would be "perfectly happy to see you naked asap". He referred to Mr Carlsen's "heavenly butt" and eventually they agreed to meet for a second time.

The case was adjourned for sentence on 16 January.