Celine Dookhran: London 'honour killing' suspects appear in court

No plea entered by defendants Mujahid Hussain and Vincent Tappu at Old Bailey 

Lizzie Dearden
Home Affairs Correspondent
Wednesday 26 July 2017 15:03
Celine Dookhran
Celine Dookhran

Two men have appeared in court in connection with alleged kidnap, rape and murder of Celine Dookhran.

Mujahid Hussain, 33, and Vincent Tappu, 28, did not enter a plea during a preliminary hearing at the Old Bailey.

Hussain, also known as Arshid, was charged with the murder, rape and kidnap of 20-year-old Miss Dookhran.

The defendant, of no fixed address, was further charged with the rape, attempted murder and kidnap of a second victim, a woman aged in her 20s.

Prosecutors allege that Hussain murdered Miss Dookhran, who was of Indian Muslim heritage, in a suspected “honour killing” for being in a relationship with an Arab Muslim.

Friends remembered her as a “beautiful, intelligent soul”, who was known for giving advice on beauty and make-up on social media.

Her social media included posts about religious holidays and fasting during Ramadan, with a final tweet posted eight days before her death, reading: “Alhamdulillah [praise God] for everything that's all I can say”.

Tappu, of Spencer Road in Ealing, was charged with the kidnap of Miss Dookhran and the second victim.

Miss Dookhran’s body was found inside a fridge at a house in Kingston on 19 July, hours after she was reported missing alongside the older woman.

She was formally identified on Monday and a post-mortem gave the cause of death as an “incised wound to the neck”.

A trial date has been set for 17 January, as Miss Dookhran’s family are being supported by a family liaison officer.

Scotland Yard originally gave the victim's age as 19 but later revised it to 20.

A 29-year-old woman arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in relation to the case has been released as the investigation continues, the Metropolitan Police said.

A separate investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission is underway because of the short time between the two women being reported missing to police and her body being discovered.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in