Man smashes coffee cup into neighbour's face during firework display

Egidijus Nacevicius spared jail after claiming he did not realise he had the cup in his hand 

Lizzie Dearden
Home Affairs Correspondent
Sunday 11 November 2018 14:23
He was watching a firework display (not pictured) at the time
He was watching a firework display (not pictured) at the time

A man who launched a "vicious attack" on his neighbour with a coffee cup while watching a New Year’s Eve firework display has avoided jail.

Police said Egidijus Nacevicius “became aggressive” after drinking on 31 December.

The 45-year-old was at a neighbourhood party in Peterborough, when a couple he knew arrived at around 11.30pm.

“He invited the couple and another friend of theirs to join him in a garage near the garden to celebrate the New Year,” Cambridgeshire Police said. “However, Nacevicius became aggressive and there was an argument.”

The couple and their friend moved away and continued drinking, but at midnight joined others outside to watch a neighbourhood firework display.

Police said: “During this, Nacevicius approached the man and said he wanted to talk to him. As the man turned round, Nacevicius smashed the coffee cup in his face, causing a number of deep cuts. The man was taken to hospital where he received stitches.”

Nacevicius denied charges of wounding with intent and assault by beating during a trial at Peterborough Crown Court.

He claimed he had acted in self-defence, punching the man as he was chased but not realising he was carrying a cup.

He was found guilty of Nacevicius guilty of grievous bodily harm without intent, and not guilty of the separate charge of assault.

Detective Constable Sam Delmer said: “Instead of ignoring the initial argument, Nacevicius decided to take revenge by conducting this vicious attack while his victim was watching a fireworks display. This was a nasty and serious assault that could have been much worse.”

Nacevicius was given a year in prison, suspended for two years, meaning he will not be jailed unless he commits further offences in that period.

He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and pay £1,000 in compensation to his victim.