Stay up to date with notifications from The Independent

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.

Bus driver dies after attack at station in Elgin as boy, 15, arrested

Stagecoach North said they were “shocked and saddened” at the death of one of their drivers

Lydia Patrick
Saturday 03 February 2024 19:29 GMT
A spokeswoman for Stagecoach North Scotland said: “We are shocked and saddened” (PA)
A spokeswoman for Stagecoach North Scotland said: “We are shocked and saddened” (PA) (PA Archive)

A 15-year-old has been arrested following the death of a 58-year-old bus driver.

Officers were called to Elgin bus station, on St Giles Road, at around 10.40pm after reports a man had been assaulted.

He was taken to Dr Grays Hospital but later died from his injuries. A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the incident, Police Scotland said in a statement.

Elgin bus station was closed on Saturday as police investigated the incident, with operator Stagecoach Bluebird cancelling a number of services.

A spokesperson for Stagecoach North Scotland said: “We are shocked and saddened by this news and our immediate thoughts are with the family and friends of our driver who has sadly passed away.

“Safety is our number one priority and incidents like this are extremely rare.

“We are doing everything we can to support our colleagues and our driver’s family as well as assisting the police in their investigation.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 10.40pm on Friday, February 2 2024, police were called to the St Giles Road area of Elgin following a report of the assault of a 58-year-old man.

“Emergency services attended, and the man was taken to Dr Grays Hospital in Elgin where he later died.

“A 15-year-old has been arrested in connection with the incident and inquiries are continuing.”

Moray MSP Richard Lochhead, who is also the Scottish Government’s Minister for Small Business, said he had spoken to local police and Stagecoach.

He said: “My thoughts are with the bus driver’s loved ones and friends and it goes without saying that the local community is shocked by this tragic and horrific incident.

“This will also be an incredibly difficult time for everyone at the local Stagecoach depot.

“Everyone working on our local buses provide an essential service and should be able to return home safe and well from their shift.

“I’ve been in touch with the police and the bus company. In the meantime, my thoughts are very much with everyone affected.”

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in