Stay up to date with notifications from The Independent

Notifications can be managed in browser preferences.

Surrey Police urge people to come forward with information over ‘human trafficking’ in Epstein files

Surrey is one of many police forces looking into allegations following the Epstein files document drop

Virginia Giuffre's brother calls on Andrew to testify

Surrey Police have urged people with information to come forward about claims of human trafficking and sexual assault dating back to 1994 which appeared in the Epstein files.

The force said it was looking into allegations of human trafficking and sexual assaults on a minor in Virginia Water, Surrey, between 1994 and 1996, after they became aware of a redacted report in the US Department of Justice tranche released in December.

The force’s call for witnesses comes after an FBI report from July 2020, which appeared in the files, alleged sexual abuse against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and convicted sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell in Surrey in the mid-1990s.

The claims, made as part of an anonymous tip, alleged a woman was restrained on a table and “tortured with electrical shocks” by Maxwell, while the former prince and other men watched on.

Multiple police forces are looking into new Epstein claims
Multiple police forces are looking into new Epstein claims (US Department of Justice)

The force said they have found no evidence of the allegations being reported to them after reviewing their systems.

In a statement, Surrey Police said: “Following the US Department of Justice Epstein file release in December 2025, Surrey Police became aware of a redacted report alleging non-recent human trafficking and sexual assaults on a minor in Virginia Water, Surrey between 1994 – 1996.

“After reviewing our systems using the limited information available to us, we found no evidence of these allegations being reported to Surrey Police. We therefore encourage anyone with information in relation to these allegations to report this to us online, or via 101.

Two million documents were released by the US Department of Justice
Two million documents were released by the US Department of Justice (AP)

“We take all reports of child and sexual abuse seriously and therefore, as with any other matter, should new and relevant information be brought to our attention, including any information resulting from the release of materials in the US, we will assess it.

“Where relevant, and via the national co-ordination group, we will engage with law enforcement agencies to obtain access to further information which may support our enquiries.”

Multiple police forces across the country are looking into new allegations relating to Jeffrey Epstein following a tranche of two million documents released by the US Department of Justice last month.

A national group had been set up to support UK forces that are “assessing allegations” related to the Epstein files, according to the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC).

On Tuesday, Essex Police said it was assessing information about private flights to and from Stansted Airport following information released as part of the document dump.

Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves said Andrew ‘owes it to the victims’ to speak about what he knows about the Epstein scandal
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves said Andrew ‘owes it to the victims’ to speak about what he knows about the Epstein scandal (PA)

Former prime minister Gordon Brown claimed the files showed in “graphic detail” how paedophile financier Epstein was able to use the Essex-based airport to “fly in girls from Latvia, Lithuania and Russia”.

A spokesperson for Stansted Airport said the airport “does not manage or have any visibility of passenger arrangements on privately-operated aircraft”.

Norfolk Police confirmed the force is also reviewing documents brought to their attention, but said they had not yet received any allegations and were not currently conducting any investigations.

Bedfordshire Police are reportedly looking into Luton flights.

Meanwhile, pressure continues to mount on Andrew Mountbatten Windsor to testify about what he knows relating to the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, with chancellor Rachel Reeves imploring that he “owes it to the victims”.

A photograph appearing to show Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor crouched over an unidentified woman which has been released in the latest disclosure of files linked to Jeffrey Epstein
A photograph appearing to show Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor crouched over an unidentified woman which has been released in the latest disclosure of files linked to Jeffrey Epstein (US Department of Justice)

The former prince has in particular been embroiled after the latest tranche alleged he sent confidential trade reports to the disgraced financier. A photo was released of him kneeling over an unidentified woman who was on the floor.

Andrew has vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

Speaking to reporters at a supermarket in south London on Wednesday, she said: “The former prince has got a lot of questions to answer on a whole range of issues.

“I think he owes it to the victims of Epstein and his associates to come forward and give much more information about what he knew around the treatment of young women and girls.”

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in