A second man has been arrested on suspicion of stealing a £4.8m solid gold toilet from Blenheim Palace.
The 36-year-old from Cheltenham was taken into custody on Tuesday and questioned by Thames Valley Police about the theft of the 18-carat artwork, America, from the home of the Duke of Marlborough.
It was taken during a burglary in the early hours of Saturday.
The theft from a wood-panelled room at the 18th-century estate, the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill, caused significant flood damage as the sculpture had been plumbed in for visitors to use.
A 66-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of burglary shortly after it was removed. He has been released on bail until 9 October.
The second man was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to burgle and later released under investigation.
Police said they believe a gang using at least two vehicles orchestrated the theft. The toilet has not yet been found.
Detective inspector Steven Jones said: “We are continuing to investigate this incident and have made a second arrest in connection with it. Our priority is to locate the stolen item, and I would urge anyone with any information to contact police by calling 101.”
Initial reports said the toilet was estimated to be worth £1m, but Blenheim Palace chief executive Dominic Hare has since said the artwork was valued at $6m (£4.8m)
The theft came after the Duke of Marlborough’s brother, Lord Edward Spencer-Churchill, said there were no plans to guard the toilet during the exhibition.
“It’s not going to be the easiest thing to nick,” he told The Sunday Times last month.