A man and a teenager have been taken to hospital after eating jelly sweets believed to contain cannabis, police said.
Surrey Police said in a statement both are in a serious but stable condition, with the man taken to hospital around 8:15pm while the 15-year-old boy was admitted around 11:40pm.
They are both believed to have been in the Godalming area, about five miles south of Guildford, at the time they were taken ill.
Police said enquiries are underway to establish where the sweets, also known as edibles, were supplied.
Detective Inspector Andy Greaves called on parents across the county to urgently speak to their children about the dangers of edibles.
He said: “Our immediate priority is to warn parents and to tell children in the area not to be tempted to try them as they are obviously causing substantial harm.
“These types of products, which may be marketed as ‘cannabis infused’ or ‘THC infused’ are illegal, and therefore unregulated, in the UK.
“They can appear to be commercial products with professional packaging, but this should not be taken as a sign that they are safe or legal.”
Anyone with information about the supply of these sweets is urged to contact Surrey Police via the force’s website, surrey.police.uk, or call 101 quoting reference PR/P21120295.
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in