Man jailed for killing grandfather in attack filmed by ‘spy cam glasses,’ in legal first

James Arthur Collinson was caught on camera punching John Glenn pub in North Yorkshire

Chiara Giordano
Tuesday 18 February 2020 14:57 GMT
James Arthur Collinson killed John Glenn in an attack caught in footage, right, filmed on an integrated camera
James Arthur Collinson killed John Glenn in an attack caught in footage, right, filmed on an integrated camera (North Yorkshire Police/screen grab)

A man has been jailed for killing a grandfather after the attack was filmed by a bystander wearing “spy cam glasses” in what is thought to be a legal first.

James Arthur Collinson, 38, from Bridlington, punched 59-year-old John Glenn twice at a pub in Scarborough, North Yorkshire.

The second blow knocked Mr Glenn unconscious and he died in hospital almost a month later, having never regained consciousness.

Footage from a pair of glasses, which were bought for £7 on eBay and featured an integrated camera and microphone, was shown in court after the witness wearing them spoke to police.

It is believed to be first time such a device such has helped lead to a successful prosecution.

Collinson, a married father-of-two, was jailed for six years with an extended period of four years on probation at Leeds Crown Court after pleading guilty to manslaughter.

The court heard Mr Glenn was walking past the Golden Last pub on 1 September last year when some friends beckoned him inside.

The grandfather was involved in a fight inside the pub, during which he brandished a glass at another man, the Scarborough News reported.

An acquaintance of Collinson, who was outside the pub, reportedly suffered a cut on his cheek during the altercation.

On hearing about what had happened, Collinson went back inside the pub and punched Mr Glenn in the face.

The self-employed skipper, who has a history of violence, then punched Mr Glenn a second time as he was attempted to leave.

Ambulance crews attempted to resuscitate Mr Glenn before he was taken to Scarborough District Hospital and placed into a medically induced coma.

He did not respond to treatment and died on 27 September.

Detective Inspector Jonathan Sygrove, from North Yorkshire Police, said: “Collinson has a long history of violence and assault and his sentence clearly reflects the seriousness of his most recent offence which resulted in the tragic loss of a man’s life.

“His actions have caused a huge amount of pain for John Glenn’s family and this is something they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.”

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in