Mark Duggan: Timeline of events


Ryan Hooper
Wednesday 08 January 2014 17:07
Mark Duggan was shot twice by police and died of a chest wound
Mark Duggan was shot twice by police and died of a chest wound

Few police operations have sparked the sort of public reaction which followed the death of Mark Duggan. Here is the chain of events that resulted after the shooting.

August 4, 2011 A passenger in a minicab is shot dead by police in north London after an apparent exchange of fire. He is later named as 29-year-old MarkDuggan, a father of four.

August 5 The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) appeals for witnesses after it says it believes the two shots were fired by police. It is confirmed a non-police issue gun was found at the scene.

August 6 Two police patrol cars are attacked as more than 100 people march through Tottenham demanding "justice" over Mr Duggan's death. Officers are forced to make road closures.

August 7 People are injured and scores of buildings damaged as riots break out in London. Shops are trashed and looted and buses set alight as tensions escalate - the action is condemned by politicians.

August 8 Riots, originally said to have been rooted in anger over Mr Duggan's death, become a symbol of resistance against police and authority as the violence spreads to other UK cities. Hundreds are arrested. Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner Stephen Kavanagh apologises to Mr Duggan's family for not meeting their needs better in the wake of his death. His fiancee says Mr Duggan is "not a gangster".

August 9 The inquest into Mr Duggan's death is opened and adjourned. It hears he died of a single gunshot wound to the chest. The Football Association announces that England's friendly against Holland at Wembley Stadium the following day has been called off.

August 10 Prime Minister David Cameron chairs another meeting of the Government's emergency Cobra committee to discuss the continuing unrest that has devastated communities.

August 11 Parliament is recalled to discuss the emergency. The weekend's Premier League curtain-raiser between Tottenham and Everton is called off over concerns about the riots, although the disorder is beginning to calm.

August 12 The police watchdog admits it may have wrongly led journalists to believe that police shooting victim Mr Duggan fired at officers before he was killed.

September 7 Members of Mr Duggan's family criticise police for having a "shoot to kill" policy, stating they should "disable, not kill suspects".

September 9 Mr Duggan's private funeral takes place after passing through north London's Broadwater Farm estate.

September 15 Omari Stewart, 17, from the area of north London which sparked a wave of summer rioting, tells ministers that Britain's youth felt the Government had "given up on us".

October 24 The Metropolitan Police admit they did not have enough officers available on the first night of the August riots, and reinforcements took too long to arrive.

November 8 Mr Cameron appears to soften earlier criticisms of the police response to the summer riots. While he said initially there were not enough officers on the streets, he later stresses that the police had faced an "extremely difficult situation" and it was not necessary to apportion blame.

November 18 The IPCC announces it is to review a Scotland Yard probe into an alleged assault involving a gun believed to have been the one recovered from the scene of the Duggan shooting.

November 20 The Guardian newspaper reports there was no forensic evidence that Mr Duggan was carrying a gun at the time of the shooting - the IPCC later responds to "irresponsible inaccuracies" undermining the police investigation.

December 12 The lead investigator for the police watchdog inquiry into the fatal shooting tells a pre-inquest hearing that a "mistake" was made in releasing information that Mr Duggan had fired at officers first.

February 29, 2012 It is revealed that the Metropolitan Police apologised to Mr Duggan's family for failing to inform them of his death. The IPCC also apologises.

March 26 The IPCC says an inquest could be impossible because of "disclosure issues" surrounding police evidence, suggesting a behind-closed-doors inquiry instead.

April 27 New amateur footage emerges on the BBC of the aftermath of the police shooting.

July 7 Bruno Hall, Mr Duggan's father, dies after a battle with cancer. His family later say he "gave up" his fight because he was overwhelmed with grief.

August 5 A service is held to mark a year and a day since Mr Duggan's death.

September 18 The trial starts of Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, who is accused of "selling or transferring a prohibited firearm" to Mr Duggan. It is alleged a handgun was passed to Mr Duggan just 15 minutes before he was shot dead by armed police. The court is told Mr Duggan had a loaded gun in his hand when he was shot, and later hears he had been trying to set up a drugs deal.

October 17 A retrial is ordered after the jury fails to reach a verdict in the case of Hutchinson-Foster.

October 23 Coroner Andrew Walker decides the inquest into Mr Duggan's death will go ahead on January 28, with the family calling for "the truth" to come out about the fatal incident.

January 8, 2013 Retrial of Hutchinson-Foster begins at the Old Bailey. He is later convicted.

February 26 Drug dealer Hutchinson-Foster is jailed for 11 years.

July 15 An anonymous letter surfaces, referring to a gun in the Duggan case, a pre-inquest hearing is told.

August 21 Tottenham mayor Sheila Peacock apologises after she said 2011's riots were "the best thing that's happened" in her community for a while. She later apologises and said the comments related to the way the Government responded to the problem by injecting money into the area.

September 16 The Duggan inquest opens, with jurors being told they are on a "quest to find the truth". It is scheduled to last up to 10 weeks.

September 17 The police marksman who shot Mr Duggan claimed he acted in self-defence because he thought Mr Duggan was brandishing a gun, the inquest is told.

October 15 A police marksman, known only as V53, describes the "freeze frame" moment he confronted Mr Duggan and said he had an "honestly held" belief that he would open fire on police.

December 3 A witness, giving evidence with his identity concealed, tells the inquest Mr Duggan was clutching a mobile phone when he was shot dead by armed police.

December 11 Members of the inquest jury retire to consider the ruling.

January 8, 2014 Jurors return a verdict of lawful killing.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in