Two police officers arrested after ‘photos taken of sisters murdered in north London park’

‘If true, these actions are morally reprehensible, and anyone involved will be robustly dealt with.’, Met Commander says

Vincent Wood
Friday 26 June 2020 00:26 BST
Nicole Smallman (left) and Bibaa Henry (right) are pictured dancing with fairy lights in Fryent Country Park, Wembley
Nicole Smallman (left) and Bibaa Henry (right) are pictured dancing with fairy lights in Fryent Country Park, Wembley

Two police officers have been arrested for allegedly sharing photographs of a double murder scene after two sisters were stabbed to death in north London.

The two women, identified as 27-year old Nicole Smallman and Bibaa Henry, 46, are believed to have been killed by a stranger at Fryent Country Park, Wembley in the early hours of 6 June.

Just hours prior to the killing they had been celebrating Ms Henry’s birthday with friends, while images from the evening showed the two women dancing with fairy lights in the park.

Now Scotland Yard has confirmed two Metropolitan Police officers have been suspended from duty and arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office.

The force said it had been informed last week of allegations that “non-official and inappropriate photographs” were shared from the site of the two women’s deaths.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), who conducted the arrests, said the pictures were allegedly “shared with a small number of others” – adding that the Metropolitan police was “handling matters involving those members of the public who may have received those images”.

IOPC director for London Sal Naseem, said: “These are sickening allegations and when we were made aware by the Metropolitan Police, we acted quickly to arrest the officers involved in order to seize vital evidence.

“The victims’s family are naturally extremely distressed at this turn of events and we are ensuring that they are updated as our investigation is progressing.”

The Met’s commander Paul Brogden added: “I am horrified and disgusted by the nature of these allegations; a sentiment which will be shared by colleagues throughout the organisation.

“If true, these actions are morally reprehensible, and anyone involved will be robustly dealt with.”

He added: “Senior representatives from the MPS and the IOPC visited the parents of Bibaa and Nicole to inform them of these serious allegations and confirm that it is now subject to an independent investigation with full cooperation from the MPS. This deeply disturbing information will no doubt have created additional trauma for a family who are already grieving the devastating loss of two loved ones. I can only start to imagine the impact of this; and I’d like to sincerely apologise to them for this further burden.

“I know that the wider community will share our shock and repulsion at these allegations and whilst our focus remains with Bibaa and Nicole’s family we are also listening to the concerns our communities and key stakeholders will want to raise about these allegations.”

The two police officers, who are based on the Met’s North East Command, have been bailed pending further enquiries.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “Londoners will be undoubtedly disgusted by these sickening allegations and I am deeply concerned about the impact this will no doubt have on the victims’ family, friends and the wider community.

“I welcome, and wholeheartedly support, the action taken by the Met and their decision to refer this incident to the IOPC for independent investigation.”

Additional reporting by Press Association

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in