Officer faces inquiry over book exposé

 

Paul Peachey
Thursday 06 December 2012 00:40

A Scotland Yard officer faces a gross misconduct inquiry after writing a book critical of police service reforms.

James Patrick, 33, has been moved to restricted duties and been told "not to have contact with the public, external agencies or stakeholders," according to his solicitor. His book, The Rest is Silence, is critical of cuts to the service, the increasing role of the private sector in policing and the politicisation of the service with the election of police and crime commissioners.

It is being sold on a self-publishing website and is described as a fully documented background to police reform and an "exploration of the next political scandal waiting to happen".

Mr Patrick's legal team said yesterday that the material was all publicly accessible and drawn from mainstream media or freedom of information sources.

However, the Metropolitan Police said that Mr Patrick, a constable who has received four commendations during his career and is also an active blogger, was under investigation because he failed to declare a business interest and ask permission from his superiors to publish the book.

His solicitor Karen Todner yesterday denied the claim and said the proceeds of the book were going to charity.

She said that he had unsuccessfully raised issues with the Met including manipulation of crime statistics and the effects of cuts. “He did try to raise his concerns through legitimate sources and effectively hit a brick wall,” said Ms Todner.

Mr Patrick has nearly 3,000 followers on Twitter, including Andy Trotter, the chief constable of British Transport police. Mr Patrick’s book has been entered for the 2013 Orwell Prize for political writing.

The Metropolitan police said inquiries were continuing into the conduct of the officer who started his police career in Derbyshire in 2004. “A serving police constable currently based within territorial policing will be subject to gross misconduct proceedings,” said a Scotland Yard statement. “He was placed on restricted duties on Friday November 30.” It said that some of the contents could be harmful to the reputation of the police and have an impact on public confidence.

The investigation of Mr Patrick follows last week’s Leveson report, which called for a more independently operated system so that whistle blowers had confidence that their grievances would be addressed.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in