Police officer 'told teenage boy he was "doing his mum a favour" while repeatedly punching him in the face'

South Wales hate crime officer Paul Evans denies repeatedly hitting schoolboy in head during 'scary' attack

Tom Barnes
Wednesday 17 October 2018 16:51 BST
South Wales Police condemned the attack
South Wales Police condemned the attack (Getty)

A police hate crime officer repeatedly punched a 14-year-old boy who called him a “p***y”, before telling the child he was “doing his mother a favour”, a court has heard.

PC Paul Evans is accused of hitting the teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, after his mother had called police due to his behaviour.

Cardiff Magistrates Court heard PC Evans, 50, snapped after the boy called him a “pig” and a “p***y”, grabbing his throat, hitting his head on a sink and punching him several times in the face.

The schoolboy was left with a bleeding nose, chipped tooth and bruising on his face.

PC Evans, a hate crime officer in the community engagement team for South Wales Police, was later charged with assault after an investigation by his own colleagues.

The court was told how the officer was called to the property by the boy’s mother, who said he was punching walls and threatening self-harm.

When PC Evans and a colleague arrived at the scene, the teenager had locked himself in the bathroom and was talking to a friend on the phone.

The officer forced entry to the room, before allegedly thrusting his forearm into the boy’s throat and smashing his head against the toilet.

Vaughan Pritchard-Jones, prosecuting, said: “The boy became abusive, telling the police to f**k off and calling them ‘pigs’.

“This further annoyed and frustrated Evans.”

PC Evans is alleged to have grabbed the boy’s phone. But, when the officer was unable to turn the device off, the teenager called him a “p***y”.

“For Evans, having been frustrated and annoyed, being called a p***y was the final straw and he reacted by punching the boy in the face,” Mr Pritchard-Jones added.

The boy claims PC Evans told him that he was “doing his mother a favour” before punching him twice more to the face.

In his video interview, the victim described the attack as “scary”.

“It all happened so quickly. Evans was calling me a disgrace, saying horrible things,” he said.

“He told me that if I was his son, he’d do the exact same to me. He was saying horrible, horrible things to me.”

The alleged attack ended when PC Evans’ colleague, PC Lauren Evans, intervened, allowing the teenager to escape downstairs.

The court heard there was a delay before the officers followed the boy, a pause Mr Pritchard-Jones claimed came about because PC Evans “realised he had done something seriously wrong”.

The officer arrested his victim for affray, despite no reports or complaints of that nature, and allegedly gave no caution.

The court heard how the boy had a history of false allegations, and admits making a hoax call to police claiming to have found “nail bombs” at his school.

PC Evans, from Bridgend, South Wales, denies assault.

The trial continues.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in