Stephen Port: ‘Damning’ report on investigation into deaths of Grindr serial killer expected to find multiple failures and missed opportunities

Bereaved families demand to know why murderer was not stopped sooner

Emily Pennink
Monday 19 March 2018 18:49
Stephen Port was given a whole life sentence in November 2016
Stephen Port was given a whole life sentence in November 2016

A “damning” report on the initial investigation into the deaths of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims is expected to find multiple failures and missed opportunities.

Port drugged and raped four young men and dumped their bodies near his home in Barking, east London.

He was found guilty at the Old Bailey of their murders and was handed a whole life sentence in November 2016.

The victims’ families have demanded to know why he was not stopped sooner and have jointly instructed specialist lawyers Hudgell Solicitors.

In a meeting with the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), they were told its report into the Metropolitan Police initial response will be damning and identify multiple failures and missed opportunities, according to their spokeswoman.

Relatives of Hull fashion student Anthony Walgate, 23, Kent chef Daniel Whitworth, 21, and Jack Taylor, 25, a forklift truck driver from Dagenham, met the police watchdog in London last week.

They were also told that the report would be sent to the Metropolitan Police by the end of May.

It is hoped the families will see the report soon afterwards, although its findings may be not be made public until after the victims’ inquests have concluded.

Their lawyer, Neil Hudgell, said: “The families were pleased to have an opportunity to meet with the IOPC and express their frustrations about how slow the investigation has been.

“They want to see the report and have answers about why their loved one is no longer with them.”

In total, the actions of 17 officers are under investigation.

In November last year, the High Court quashed the original inquests into the deaths of two of Port’s victims, Mr Whitworth and 22-year-old Gabriel Kovari, paving the way for all four victims’ inquests to be held together in 2019.


Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in