Two men have appeared in court charged with the manslaughter of a 15-year-old girl who suffered an allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.
Megan Lee, from Oswaldtwistle in Lancashire died on New Year's Day 2017, after eating food from the Royal Spice Indian takeaway in Hyndburn.
A post-mortem examination showed she died from acute asthma due to nut allergy.
Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 39, of Blackburn, and Harun Rashid, 38, Rossendale, have been charged with manslaughter in connection with her death.
The pair have also been charged with failing to discharge general health/safety duty to a person other than an employee and contravening or failing to comply with EU provisions concerning food safety and hygiene.
Mr Kuddus was also charged under the name of the company, RS Takeaways Ltd, with failing to discharge general health/safety duty to a person other than an employee and contravening or failing to comply with EU provisions concerning food safety and hygiene.
Both appeared at Blackburn Magistrates' Court to face charges in connection with the death of teenager. Megan's parents were in court with other family members for the brief hearing.
The pair confirmed their nationality as Bangladeshi.
Magistrates sent the case to Burnley Crown Court, where the men will appear on 7 February, and they were both given conditional bail.
Lancashire Police said the takeaway was now trading under new ownership.
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in