Teenager jailed for killing security guard

Ashley Broadley
Wednesday 13 November 2002 01:00

A man aged 18 was jailed for nine years yesterday after admitting he had killed a security guard during a carjacking.

Once Christopher Howell, from Openshaw, Manchester, was sentenced, police released CCTV footage of the moment he attacked Sikiru Egberongbe, who was 64.

Nigerian-born Mr Egberongbe, from Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester, arrived at his work at the Cariocca Business Park in the Miles Platting area, at 8pm in June. After pulling up at the entrance, he climbed out of his blue Toyota Starlet to open the gates. When he returned, he was threatened with a brick by Howell, who then jumped into the driver's seat.

Manchester Crown Court was told that Mr Egberongbe had tried to grab Howell, who began driving the car. The security guard was then dragged under the wheels and the vehicle drove over him.

He died five days later in hospital from severe chest and leg injuries.

Officers arrested Howell later the same month and, in October, he pleaded guilty to manslaughter and two unconnected incidents of robbery and assault.

Judge Rhys Davies, the Manchester recorder, sentenced Howell to eight years for manslaughter, one year for robbery to be served consecutively, and four months for assault, to run concurrently.

After the sentencing, Mr Egberongbe's wife, Milicent, said: "Sikiru was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather and we all feel a great loss and sadness since his death. Whatever sentence is passed today will not bring my husband back and we will all have to live with his loss for the rest of our lives."

Detective Superintendent John Kelly, who led the inquiry, said: "This was a terrible, unprovoked attack on a man who was on his way to work.

"Christopher Howell attacked Mr Egberongbe without the slightest thought of the consequences. We welcome the custodial sentence imposed today but nothing can replace Sikiru's life and our thoughts are with his family."