Youth convicted of manslaughter after killing 15-year-old boy

Tamim Ian Habimana, 15, was attacked on the street with a knife, umbrella and rounders bat, and died.

Emily Pennink
Friday 07 October 2022 17:36 BST
Tamim Ian Habimana,15, who was found with a single stab wound in Woolwich. Tamim was sadly pronounced dead at the scene (PA)
Tamim Ian Habimana,15, who was found with a single stab wound in Woolwich. Tamim was sadly pronounced dead at the scene (PA) (PA Archive)

A youth has been found guilty of the “revenge” killing of a 15-year-old boy who was attacked in the street with a knife, an umbrella and a rounders bat.

Tamim Ian Habimana was stabbed in the heart and another 15-year-old boy was injured during the violence in Woolwich, south east London, on July 5 last year.

A 16-year-old boy was cleared of his murder but found guilty of manslaughter following a trial at the Old Bailey.

He was also convicted of wounding the second victim with intent, having a blade and conspiracy to commit violent disorder.

Four other youths, aged between 16 and 20, were cleared of murder, manslaughter and attempted murder.

However, one of them aged 16 was convicted of wounding, possession of an offensive weapon and conspiracy to commit violent disorder.

Another, aged 17, was convicted of having an offensive weapon and conspiracy to commit violent disorder.

Danny Robinson KC had told jurors how youths went to Woolwich intent on revenge for a stabbing in Dartford nine days before in which the victim survived.

A 16-year-old defendant had a knife with others armed with an umbrella and a rounders bat, it was alleged.

Tamim and two other young men walked towards them and stopped just short of where they were.

Within seconds, the 16-year-old produced his weapon, the court heard.

Mr Robinson said: “The attack … launched on the other group lasted for a matter of seconds but it was recorded on CCTV from a passing bus, by council CCTV, and it was also filmed by a passenger on the bus.”

Tamim went between two parked cars onto the pavement and seconds later was fatally stabbed by the 16-year-old with the knife.

The victim ran up the road before collapsing by a bus stop.

The second victim was also attacked before an off-duty police officer intervened to stop the fight and the defendants fled.

Another police officer happened to be at scene “by coincidence”, with the attack taking place “right in front of him”.

Mr Robinson said: “Although it happened very quickly he saw the umbrella stem and the knife being used as weapons during the attack.”

The off-duty officer and members of the public went to help and emergency services were called but Tamim died at the scene.

Officers found the umbrella stem, knife blade and handle discarded nearby.

Later that evening, police were called to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich, where the surviving victim was treated for a stab wound to his upper back.

A pathologist found Tamim suffered massive blood loss from the stab wound to the heart.

The defendants had denied the charges against them.

The 16-year-old stabber claimed to the jury that he acted in self defence and did not intent to seriously hurt anyone.

His co-accused denied knowing there was a plan for violence, variously denying participation or claiming they too acted in self defence.

Sentencing was adjourned to a date to be fixed.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in