E-cigarette battery explodes in man's pocket in Leeds shopping centre

Smoke and sparks erupt from trousers of shopper in Boots

Tom Goulding
Thursday 22 December 2016 11:57 GMT
E-cigarette battery explodes in man's pocket

CCTV footage showing an e-cigarette battery exploding in a man’s pocket in a Leeds shopping centre, leaving him needing first aid with minor injuries.

The man was standing only inches from a baby in a pram, as smoke started leaving his pocket and an explosive sparks shot out from his trousers.

The incident took place on 19 September in a Boots in Leeds Trinity shopping centre.

Fire chiefs released the video to highlight the danger of storing lithium batteries alongside other metal objects in pockets, such as coins or keys.

“This is not the first time we have seen injuries caused by a lithium-ion battery exploding whilst being carried in someone's pocket,” said fire investigator Jamie Lister.

"There does not need to be a fault with the battery, the problem is the incorrect storage of the batteries."

Carrying batteries in a plastic case to prevent them short circuiting is advised by fire authorities, to prevent a short-circuiting of the batteries which can cause the explosions.

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in