Nottingham baby death inquiry expected to uncover biggest-ever maternity scandal

Families are expected to receive an apology from the trust at a board meeting later on Monday.

Jane Kirby
Monday 10 July 2023 11:14 BST
Donna Ockenden, who is leading an inquiry into maternity care within Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (Jacob King/PA)
Donna Ockenden, who is leading an inquiry into maternity care within Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (Jacob King/PA) (PA Wire)

Support truly
independent journalism

Our mission is to deliver unbiased, fact-based reporting that holds power to account and exposes the truth.

Whether $5 or $50, every contribution counts.

Support us to deliver journalism without an agenda.

Louise Thomas

Louise Thomas

Editor

An inquiry into baby deaths at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust is expected to uncover the biggest maternity scandal in the history of the NHS.

Donna Ockenden, who is leading the inquiry, is poised to investigate hundreds more cases after NHS England wrote to affected families agreeing cases would be dealt with on an opt-out basis, with families having to opt out of giving consent.

Families are expected to receive an apology from the trust which will be discussed at a board meeting later on Monday.

Ms Ockenden, who along with a team of senior clinicians began her review in September 2022, said in May that more than 1,250 families and 650 staff had contacted the review to express concerns about the trust’s care practices.

She has previously called for more people to contact the review, stressing that it was “vital” that women from a range of ethnic and social backgrounds came forward.

Some families, including those whose children died due to failings, demanded a public apology from the trust at a closed meeting in May.

The trust said earlier this month it would “commit to working collaboratively to plan for an apology on behalf of the board that the families recognise as meaningful” in Monday’s meeting.

Ms Ockenden’s previous review in Shrewsbury and Telford used the “opt-out” approach to include the majority of affected families.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in