Teenage student left in coma after attack in Canterbury

‘You don’t deserve this. No one deserves this...You still have your life ahead of you,’ victim’s brother writes on Facebook 

Corazon Miller
Friday 14 June 2019 14:18
Comments
Daniel Ezzedine pictured with his family.
Daniel Ezzedine pictured with his family.

Seven people have been arrested after a teenage exchange student was left in coma after he was attack in Canterbury.

German national Daniel Ezzedine was visiting the cathedral city in Kent when he was set upon on the evening of 6 June.

The 17-year-old who is of Lebanese descent was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he remains in an induced coma.

Six teenagers aged between 15 and 17 have been arrested in connection with the attack, Kent Police said. A 44-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, the force said.

All have been released on bail, as the police investigation continued.

Mr Ezzedine’s brother, Bassam Ezzedine told German TV channel RTL that the teenager was initially given a 30 per cent chance of survival.

Although things had improved, he said his brother remained in intensive care in hospital and had been place into an induced coma.

Doctors often do this to reduce swelling, or allow the body to recover.

Mr Ezzedine also asked whether the crime was race-related as his family was of Lebanese descent.

Bassam Ezzedine said his brother had been given a 30 per cent chance of survival.

Alongside pictures of his brother, Mr Ezzedine, also shared his grief about the attack on Facebook.

“You are such a pure hearted person, you don’t deserve this,” he wrote. ”No one deserves this. Please wake up from your coma and stand up, you are a strong boy. You still have your life ahead of you.”

Earlier this week, hundreds of Canterbury residents took to the streets to protest about attack. Waving banners they chanted against racism as they walked through the city.

Others have condemned the attack as a shameful act of violence on social media.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

The attack was also condemned as a “shameful stain” on the city by MP Rosie Duffield, who helped Mr Ezzedine’s family get to the UK after the assault.

Thousands of pounds have also been raised online to support the teenagers’s family.

District Commander for Canterbury and Dover, Chief Inspector Mark Weller said: “‘While the investigation is ongoing, I would urge people to resist drawing their own conclusions about the assault via unverified sources or speculating on the circumstances. Updates will be issued from Kent Police as and when appropriate.

‘I have spoken to various members and groups in the community to make them aware of our investigation, and I want to pass my thanks on to them, as well as the wider community for their support as officers continue to work to establish what led up to the assault, identify the offenders and bring those responsible to justice.”

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in