Charlie Gard's parents have said their baby son's life-support will be switched off today

'We're not allowed to choose if our son lives and we're not allowed to choose when or where Charlie dies'

Brian Farmer
Friday 30 June 2017 08:29
Comments
Chris Gard and Connie Yates with their son Charlie Gard
Chris Gard and Connie Yates with their son Charlie Gard

Charlie Gard's parents have said their baby son's life-support will be switched off today.

Chris Gard and Connie Yates, both in their 30s from Bedfont, west London, wanted 10-month-old Charlie, who suffers from a rare genetic condition and has brain damage, to undergo a therapy trial in the US.

But specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) said the therapy was experimental and would not help.

Charlie's parents had asked European court judges in Strasbourg, France, to consider their claim after judges in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in London ruled in favour of GOSH doctors.

But earlier this week the European Court of Human Rights refused to intervene.

Ms Yates described the day Charlie was born, August 4 last year, as the best day of their lives but said June 30 2017, would be the worst.

The couple say they have been denied their final wish to be able to take their son home to die.

Alongside a video posted on YouTube on Thursday, Charlie's parents wrote: "We are utterly heartbroken spending our last precious hours with our baby boy.

"We're not allowed to choose if our son lives and we're not allowed to choose when or where Charlie dies.

"We, and most importantly Charlie, have been massively let down throughout this whole process."

Charlie's plight has touched many people and the family received donations totalling more than £1.3 million to take him to the US for therapy.

Campaigners also pledged their support to the family on social media with hashtags including £charliesfight £Fight4Charlie and £LetCharlieGoHome.

His parents said Charlie would die "knowing that he was loved by thousands", adding "thank you to everyone for all your support!"

In the video the couple said they felt they were being rushed, despite having been promised they would have all the time they needed to say goodbye to their son.

A hospital spokeswoman said: "As with all of our patients, we are not able to and nor will we discuss these specific details of care.

"This is a very distressing situation for Charlie's parents and all the staff involved and our focus remains with them."

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in