Dog left fighting for life after eating Nintendo game

'We don’t own a games console so we’re baffled as to where he got it from'

Samuel Osborne
Thursday 11 April 2019 10:14
Comments
Rocco the Staffordshire Bull Terrier had to have emergency surgery
Rocco the Staffordshire Bull Terrier had to have emergency surgery

A dog was left fighting for its life after eating a Nintendo video game.

Rocco's owners became concerned when the Staffordshire Bull Terrier began vomiting and refusing to eat.

They took the four-year-old dog to vet charity PDSA’s Glasgow Shamrock Street hospital, where an X-ray revealed a rectangular object in its small intestine.

The dog underwent emergency surgery and vets discovered the object was a Nintendo DS cartridge.

But its owners were left confused about where the game had come from, as they do not own one of the popular hand-held consoles.

Sean Johnston, 27, Rocco's owner, said: “He wasn’t acting himself at all and we were worried he’d eaten a corn on the cob, but we were so shocked when the vet said it was from a video game.

“We don’t own a Nintendo or anything like that so we’re baffled as to where he got it from.

“He’s a rescue dog and we’ve only had him for about six months so the only thing we can think is that it was from his previous owners – who knows how long it’s been in there.

“Even though we haven’t had him that long, he’s already such a big part of the family, so we’re delighted to have him back home.

“He’s made a brilliant recovery.”

Left untreated, the cartridge could have caused a fatal blockage.

The dog, from Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire, was discharged after an overnight stay for rest and recovery.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

PDSA senior vet Susan Hermit said: “We see dogs that eat strange things all the time but none of us had ever seen anything like this.

“Objects can sometimes sit in the stomach for a while, but they cause problems when they try and push through the guts, which are much narrower.

“It was a good job Sean brought Rocco in when he did, as an object of this size trying to pass through the guts could have caused a deadly blockage or pierced his internal organs.”

Additional reporting by Press Association

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in