Norman Milne, a St Andrew’s First Aid volunteer, adapted his CPR skills to treat his pet when she stopped breathing after being saved from a fast-flowing stream.
After several rescue attempts, Goldie was pulled out of the water by Mr Milne’s nephew, Liam Holder, and taken back to the caravan that the family were staying in.
Mr Milne said he wrapped his dog up in towels and duvets to warm her up and then noticed she had stopped breathing.
That was the moment when he remembered his first aid training.
Mr Milne closed Goldie's mouth tightly with one hand and with his other hand made a funnel, blew hard into her nose five times and then started chest compressions with the dog lying on her right side.
After a couple of breaths and compressions, Mr Milne noticed a flicker of response.
He had to repeat the procedure a further three times before Goldie fully responded.
Mr Milne, from Dalmellington, Ayrshire, said the incident showed “how important it is to be first aid trained”.
"Knowing exactly what you should do in the case of an emergency, which can happen at any time, can really be the difference between life and death,” he said.
He added: "We are all so grateful that Goldie is back home and recovering from her ordeal, it was certainly an unexpected turn for our family trip away.”
Although the near-death experience happened in June, Mr Milne said he is sharing it now to mark International Dog Day on 26 August.
Stuart Callison, chief executive of St Andrew's First Aid, said: "We are all extremely touched by Norman and Goldie's story, and glad that Norman's skills as an expert first aid volunteer enabled him to save the life of his beloved pet."
Agencies contributed to this report
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies