Holocaust survivor, 87, questioned by police after laying flowers at Trafalgar Square during Gaza protest
Stephen Kapos was among nine people called in over 18 January pro-Palestine protest
An elderly Holocaust survivor has been questioned by police after he laid flowers at Trafalgar Square during a Gaza protest to commemorate the tens of thousands of Palestinians killed in the Israel-Hamas war.
Stephen Kapos, 87, was interviewed by the Metropolitan Police on Friday about the pro-Palestine protest on 18 January in central London â a demonstration the force faced accusations of ârepressive and heavy-handed policingâ over at the time.
Mr Kapos lived in hiding under the Nazi regime as a child in Budapest, Hungary, after he lost touch with his mother, and his father was taken to Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

He is among nine people who have been called in by the Met for questioning after 77 people were arrested on the day of the protest. So far, 21 people have since been charged.
Speaking outside Charing Cross Police Station following his interview on Friday afternoon, Mr Kapos told The Independent he planned to continue marching for peace in Gaza, describing how âproudâ he is that his family, including his son and grandchildren, also join him.
He said he wanted to disprove claims that âthere is solid support from all Jews towards what's going onâ.
Mr Kapos spoke surrounded by around 100 supporters, a number of whom were either Holocaust survivors or descendants of them. A banner reading âHolocaust survivor descendants against Gaza genocide!â was one of the signs being held up, while chants such as âWe are all Palestiniansâ were called out by the crowd.
The grandfather stressed the importance of this during a week when Israel launched a fresh wave of attacks on the Gaza Strip, shattering the fragile ceasefire that had held for the past few weeks in a move he described as âhorrifyingâ.

âThe sort of killing thatâs going on, itâs unbearable to watch and one wonders where itâs leading to because there is no defence to speak of. They are defenceless people out in the open.
âTheir homes have been bombed to smithereens and they are in tents and now they are going to be bombed. Itâs unbearable and I donât understand how the world can stand it.
âAnd Iâm ashamed of our government and everybody else who facilitates it and enables it.â
Mr Kapos strongly criticised the UK governmentâs response, calling for it to condemn Israelâs actions and to end all military contracts.
âThey should at the very minimum condemn Israelâs actions, which they donât do, and immediately stop all supplies of armaments and any other logistical and information support that they do give,â he said.

âAll that should be stopped immediately because thereâs no doubt about this being an atrocity and international crime, whatâs going on, whatâs perpetrated by Israel. So how can you hesitate in the face of that?â
Earlier this week Sir Keir Starmer said he was âdeeply concernedâ about the resumption of Israeli military action in Gaza.
The prime ministerâs official spokesperson insisted âall parties, including Israel, must respect international humanitarian lawâ.
âWeâre clear that Israel must have security, and Hamas cannot play any role in the future of Gaza, but we must see the talks urgently resume, the ceasefire agreement to implement in full and see permanent peace worked towards.â
Mr Kapos described protesting as âexerting pressure through numbers to make it clear that all this will have electoral consequencesâ.

Mr Kapos also wanted to highlight how the demonstrations âare not hate marchesâ and âare not no-go areas for Jews, which is again claimedâ.
The Met argues protesters allegedly breached Public Order Act conditions that were in place during the 18 January demonstration, which were communicated in advance. They say the conditions required those taking part to remain in Whitehall, but a âlarge groupâ made its way into Trafalgar Square and in some cases attempted to go further.
A Met Police spokesperson said: âAs part of our ongoing investigation into alleged breaches of Public Order Act conditions on Saturday, 18 January, we have invited a further eight people to be interviewed under caution at a police station.
âWhile we are aware of names being attributed to those who have been invited for interview, we do not confirm the identity of anyone under investigation.â
For legal reasons, Mr Kapos was unable to provide details on his police interview, or if the exact reasons behind why he was summoned were disclosed to him.

However, that day, Mr Kapos was among a group of demonstrators who carried flowers to lay down in Trafalgar Square to remember the more than 48,000 Palestinians who have so far been killed, according to Gaza's health officials, since Hamasâs attack on Israel on 7 October 2023. Hamas militants killed 1,200 people and took 251 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.
According to the Stop the War Coalition, all of the activists who received police letters calling them in for questioning by the Met were among that group.
More than 50 MPs and peers, as well as trade union leaders and legal experts, were among those who wrote to home secretary Yvette Cooper at the time, demanding an independent inquiry into the tactics used by the Met at the 18 January protest.
A group of 40 âextremely shockedâ Holocaust survivors or descendants of Holocaust survivors have now written an open letter condemning the policeâs questioning of Mr Kapos.
It reads: âAny repression of the right to protest is bad enough â but to persecute a Jewish 87-year-old whose Holocaust experiences compel him to speak out against the Gaza genocide is quite appalling.â

Mark Etkind, co-organiser of Holocaust survivors and descendants against the Gaza genocide, is among those denouncing the forceâs âover-policingâ of the ongoing pro-Palestine protests in general, describing it as âterrifying, not just for the Palestine movement, but for anyone who wants to protest and believes in British democracyâ.
Holocaust survivor Dr Agnes Kory was also among those supporting Mr Kapos outside Charing Cross Police Station on Friday and issued a strong condemnation of Israelâs attack on Gaza.
She said: âIn the name of a Holocaust survivor, which is me, and a Holocaust researcher, which is also me, I say no, not in our names, and I have to be at the forefront of peace for Palestine movements.â
In a report earlier this month, United Nations experts said Israel carried out âgenocidal actsâ against Palestinians by systematically destroying womenâs healthcare facilities during the conflict in Gaza, and used sexual violence as a war strategy.
Israelâs permanent mission to the UN in Geneva rejected the accusations and described allegations in the report as unfounded, bias, and lacking credibility.
Bookmark popover
Removed from bookmarks