Hammersmith flood: Scores evacuated from streets as flash flood hits wide stretch of west London

Seventy people have been led to safety and a further 34 evacuated after water levels rise 20 inches in some places

Ellie Cullen
Saturday 27 January 2018 10:33
Huge flood disrupts street in Hammersmith

Fire crews used rescue boats to evacuate those stranded by the flooding on King Street in Hammersmith on Friday night.

A burst water main caused streams of water to flow down the road, as people reported being stuck in restaurants or cars.

Water levels rose to nearly 20 inches in places, with flooding stretching across an area of about 650 metres by 100 metres.

London Fire Brigade said it had sent 49 firefighters to the scene and had evacuated seven people from their homes. About 70 people were led to safety and a further 34 escorted from the area.

Station manager Paul Fitzgerald said: "Fire crews used boats to assist people who needed to leave their homes, although the majority of residents were able to stay in their property.

"Around 270 sandbags were provided to help stop water from entering buildings.

"Crews pumped water away and Thames Water was on the scene investigating.

"People were advised to avoid the area as a number of road closures were in place and Ravenscourt Park Tube station was closed."

One man wrote on Twitter: "thameswater Please rescue us. We are stuck in a restaurant - pho district and can't step out. The water is freezing."

Another wrote: "Burst water main causing chaos in King Street, Hammersmith..somewhat stuck as my car is there."

Thames Water said at the time it was working to fix the "major burst", adding: "We are sorry, and working to resolve the situation as quickly as we can. We are aware some customers are without water or have low pressure. We will post updates as we have them."

It was later reported that the flow of water from the burst main had slowed and that flood waters had receded.

The fire service said it was called at 8.15pm, with four rescue units equipped with boats sent to the scene, with flooding cleared by about 2am.


Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in