UK authorities are to review security ahead of First World War commemorations in the wake of a foiled alleged terror plot in Australia and a new Isis propaganda video calling for attacks in the West.
Britain is preparing to observe annual Anzac Day ceremonies – recognising Australian and New Zealand Army Corps' First World War battle in Gallipoli on 25 April, with this year marking the 100th year of the Turkish conflict.
The new propaganda video released by Isis, featuring the former rapper Denis Cuspert from Germany, reportedly refers to sleeper cells in Britain, Australia and Germany being activated with the message to the West: “We want your blood, it tastes so wonderful!”
Cuspert, who travelled from Berlin to Syria in 2012, provides the soundtrack to the video which urges supporters to “do your jihad” in Europe and features previously unreleased footage of the murder of British hostage David Haines in Syria, the Sunday Times reported.
The video has since been taken down from YouTube, but comes in the wake of reports of an “Isis-inspired” terror plot in Melbourne and with the current terror threat level in Britain rated as “severe”, meaning an attack is seen as “highly likely”.
Australians and New Zealanders in the UK are expected to observe Anzac Day with ceremonies in Westminster and Hyde Park, and Scotland Yard said it was looking at the measures it has in place.
Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said: "Following counter- terrorism arrests in Australia this weekend and allegations of attack planning against Anzac Day commemorations and police officers in Australia, we are reviewing security plans at related events in the UK.
"We already have protective security plans in place for major Anzac events in the UK but as a sensible precaution all forces have been asked to review security arrangements at related events to ensure they are safe and secure for the public and officers.
"While there is no information to suggest a specific threat to related events in the UK - and the current UK threat level remains unchanged - the public should remain vigilant."
On Saturday, five Australian teenagers were arrested on suspicion of plotting an attack at a Veterans' Day ceremony that included targeting police officers, officials said.
The suspects included two 18-year-olds who are alleged to have been preparing an attack at the Anzac Day ceremony in Melbourne later this month, Australian Federal Police Acting Deputy Commissioner Neil Gaughan told reporters.
Another 18-year-old was arrested on weapons charges, and two other men, aged 18 and 19, were in custody and assisting police. All the arrests took place in Melbourne.
Next week's British commemorations are due to begin with a dawn service at Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner, at 5am on Saturday, followed by a wreath-laying ceremony at the Cenotaph and a commemorative service at Westminster Abbey.
Additional reporting by agencies
Register for free to continue reading
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
Already have an account? sign in