Liverpool bomb taxi driver’s wife says he’s ‘extremely sore’ after ‘miracle’ escape

‘The truth of the matter is he is lucky to be alive’

Emily Atkinson
Monday 15 November 2021 23:29
CCTV shows moment of explosion inside taxi outside Liverpool hospital

The wife of the taxi driver who was caught up in the terrorist bombing outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital yesterday has called her husband’s escape from serious injury an “utter miracle”.

Rachel Perry said her husband David is “lucky to be alive” after the taxi he was driving, carrying one passenger, exploded as it pulled up outside the hospital.

Mr Perry has since been discharged from hospital after being treated for his injuries. In the same social media post, Ms Perry thanked all of the staff, doctors and nurses who cared for her husband, whom she described as still being “extremely sore.”

She also appeared to confirm that reports of Mr Perry “locking the passenger inside the car” were untrue.

“I would just like to thank each and everyone of you who have messaged asking how David is. He is doing ok but is extremely sore and just trying to process what happened,” she wrote.

“There are a lot of rumours flying round about him being a hero and locking the passenger inside the car.

“The truth of the matter is, he is without doubt, lucky to be alive. The explosion happened whilst he was in the car and how he managed to escape is an utter miracle. He certainly had some guardian angels looking over him.

“I would like to thank the amazing staff, doctors and nurses at the hospital, you were all amazing and also the police officers and detectives who have been looking after us. We’re so thankful.”

It comes after Boris Johnson hailed Mr Perry’s “incredible bravery”.

“It does look as though the taxi driver in question did behave with incredible presence of mind and bravery,” the prime minister said.

Three men – aged 29, 26 and 21 – have been arrested under the Terrorism Act. They were detained in the nearby Kensington area of the city, while residents were evacuated as armed police were seen in Rutland Avenue, in the Sefton Park area, until the early hours of the morning.

A fourth suspect was arrested in connection with the bombing on Monday morning.

The blast has was declared a terrorist incident on Monday but police say the motive remains unclear.

Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, from Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said the man who died in the blast brought a homemade bomb with him into a taxi and asked to be taken to Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

He was picked up in the Rutland Avenue area of the city and taken to the hospital shortly before 11am on Sunday.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies


Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in