Sainsbury's worker tracks down missing four-year-old American girl from his Surrey bedroom 5000 miles away

Harry Brown contacted child's estranged father on Facebook and convinced him to share his address by offering to buy him a pizza

Lucy Pasha-Robinson
Monday 14 August 2017 13:49
Yvette Henley is now safe and living with her grandparents Gary and Kim Forester in California
Yvette Henley is now safe and living with her grandparents Gary and Kim Forester in California

A British supermarket worker solved a US missing person’s case when he located a four-year-old girl online from his bedroom.

Harry Brown was able to track down Yvette Henley to a motel in Arizona – 5,000 miles from his Surrey home – where she was being held by her estranged father.

An avid gamer, the 21-year-old had been contacted by the child’s grandparents, Gary and Kim Forester, after it emerged Mr Brown was a friend of Virgil Henley, the girl’s father, on Facebook, according to MirrorOnline.

The girl’s grandparents were granted custody in June, after a court found Yvette was suffering “emotional damage” and was in danger.

But Henley allegedly absconded with the child and police launched a child abduction case.

Mr and Ms Forester contacted Mr Brown to plead with him to help with the case and try to reach out to Henley.

Mr Brown, who works in Sainsbury’s, managed to convince Henley to share his exact location, including his room number, by striking up a conversation with him over two days and offering to send him a pizza.

But instead of the food showing up at the hotel room, police arrived and took the child to her grandparents in California, where she is now living.

“I spend my life on the internet but little did I know that talking to random people would lead to me finding this little girl,” Mr Brown said.

“She is loving where she is now. I cried so much when I saw the photos of her with her grandparents.”

San Bernadino County Sheriff’s Dept said: “The missing person report for Yvette Henley was filed by her grandfather on 20 June in Hesperia.

“He believed Yvette was with her parents and he had not been able to reach them.

“The grandfather was given guardianship of Yvette also on 20 June.

“At the time he filed the report it had been 10 days since he had last seen the three of them.”

A spokeswoman added: “On 9 July the reporting party contacted the Hesperia Station stating he had been advised that the child was located in Kingman, Arizona.

“Child Protective services was contacting Kingman and the reporting party stated he would be going to Kingman to pick up the child.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments