Thomas Markle says baby skin tone comment was ‘just a stupid question’

‘It could just be that simple, it could be somebody asked a stupid question’

Kate Ng
Tuesday 09 March 2021 09:31
Comments
Thomas Markle says baby skin tone comment was ‘just a stupid question’
Leer en Español

The father of Meghan Markle has said he hopes a comment allegedly made by a member of the royal family about the colour of her son’s skin was “just a stupid question”.

Speaking on Good Morning Britain, Thomas Markle said he had “great respect” for the royal family and did not think they, or the British people, were racists.

He told Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid: “The thing about what colour would the baby be, how dark would the baby be, I’m guessing and hoping it’s just a dumb question from somebody. It could just be that simple, it could be somebody asked a stupid question, rather than being a total racist.”

The Duchess of Sussex said in an interview with Oprah Winfrey, which aired in the UK on Monday, that her son Archie had been denied the title of prince because there were concerns within the royal family about “how dark his skin might be when he’s born”. However, rules set by George V mean Archie is not entitled to be a prince.

Follow Meghan and Harry Oprah interview live: Latest news and updates

The allegation has been dubbed a “crisis”, but Buckingham Palace has yet to respond.

Asked about the allegation on GMB, Mr Markle responded: “I have great respect for the royals and I don’t think the British royal family are racist at all. I don’t think the British are racist.”

Mr Markle said he had not spoken to either Meghan or Harry since their wedding in 2018, after he staged photographs for paparazzi ahead of their wedding.

He said he “wished” he had not done it, but added that his family “were attacked by the press every day” and had nobody to “protect any member of our family”.

In the interview with Ms Winfrey, Meghan said she found it difficult to discuss her father’s actions, adding: “I genuinely can’t imagine doing anything to intentionally cause pain to my child.”

Officials in Buckingham Palace reportedly had a prepared statement highlighting the family’s love and concern for the couple, but it was not signed off by the Queen.

According to The Times newspaper, the monarch wanted more time to consider her response to the explosive interview.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in