With the festive season approaching, vets have advised pet owners to ensure their animals do not consume any alcohol.
Vets have warned that cats and dogs are naturally inquisitive and are increasingly likely to approach wine glasses and beer bottles that are left unattended.
Figures show one in four dogs in the UK have consumed alcohol at one point and although the majority of cases are due to careless owners, some have deliberately been given alcoholic drinks so their antics can be filmed and shared on social media.
Alcohol causes damage to animals just as it does to humans but the effects are seen much quicker and in greater severity, according to Argos Pet Insurance.
RSA Veterinary consultant, Andrew Moore, said it is important to take care of where you put your drink down.
“The social atmosphere and variety of rich and tasty alcoholic drinks (and foods!) available at Christmas means that it’s a key time to be careful about what you leave where,” Mr Moore said.
“Even small amounts of these seasonal treats can be dangerous for our pets, so always be careful about where you set down your drink or Christmas pudding!”
Maia Boylla, product manager for Argos Pet Insurance said even the smallest amount of alcohol can do damage.
“This is a big eye-opener for dog owners across the UK. It’s so incredibly easy for our curious canines to stick their noses into unattended drinks, which is worrying as alcohol can obviously do serious harm to our pets, even in small amounts,” Ms Boylla said.
If you notice your dog vomiting, urinating excessively or having difficulty breathing, standing or walking these are all signs of alcohol poisoning and they should be taken to a vet.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies