‘I am in fact a legitimate businesswoman’: Jennifer Arcuri responds to Boris Johnson allegations

‘This is an orchestrated attack on me, absolutely,’ says entrepreneur

Zamira Rahim
Thursday 03 October 2019 13:48
Comments
Boris Johnson dodges questions over alleged affair with Jennifer Arcuri

Jennifer Arcuri, the businesswoman at the centre of a scandal involving public funds and her relationship with Boris Johnson, has insisted she is a “legitimate businesswoman”.

Ms Arcuri is alleged to have had an affair with Mr Johnson while he was Mayor of London.

The American entrepreneur responded on Thursday to allegations made in The Sunday Times last weekend.

According to the newspaper, the businesswoman repeatedly told friends she shared an intimate relationship with Mr Johnson while was at City Hall.

“I’m being used as collateral. All the allegations are false,” Ms Arcuri said, according to the Daily Mail. “This is an orchestrated attack on me, absolutely.”

The 34-year-old was speaking in Los Angeles, where she now lives.

The technology entrepreneur’s companies have received £126,000 in public money.

The prime minister is also accused of granting Ms Arcuri privileged access to three overseas trade trips led by him.

He has been accused of failing to declare a conflict of interest, but has denied any impropriety.

“I had every right to be on those trips as a legitimate businesswoman and stand by everything that happened because these allegations are completely false,” said Ms Arcuri.

“Someone has gone to great lengths to put together a massive attack and I stand by the legitimacy of my business.

“I am in fact a legitimate businesswoman.”

She added: “It’s such a shame to see successful business-women or just businesswomen in general, be persecuted.”

When she moved back to the US, the entrepreneur founded Hacker House, a company which was awarded £100,000 in public money earlier this year.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

Mr Johnson has been referred to the police complaints body to assess whether he should face a criminal investigation over his links with the businesswoman.

A Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport investigation is under way into the £100,000 grant made to Hacker House.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in