The Mayor of London has “more important things to do” than respond to Donald Trump's "ill-informed" commentary on Saturday night's London Bridge terror attack, a spokesperson for the Mayor has said.
The US president had hit out at Sadiq Khan in the aftermath of the attack, taking a comment the Mayor had made about the increased police presence on London's streets out of context.
But a spokesperson for the Mayor said Mr Khan would not be responding to Mr Trump's comments.
"The Mayor is busy working with the police, emergency services, and the government to coordinate the response to this horrific and cowardly terrorist attack and provide leadership and reassurance to Londoners and visitors to our city," the spokesperson said.
"He has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump’s ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police - including armed officers - on the streets."
In a series of tweets posted in the aftermath of the attack Mr Trump appeared to take issue with the Mayor’s warning that that there was “no need to be alarmed” at the increased police presence on the street
“We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don’t get smart it will only get worse,” the President tweeted.
“At least seven dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed’!” another of his tweets read.
Mr Khan had said: “Londoners will see increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There’s no reason to be alarmed.”
The row kicked off in the aftermath of the van and knife attack on London Bridge, which was carried out at around 10pm on Saturday night.
Armed police shot three knife-wielding suspects within eight minutes of being called to the scene after a white van ploughed into pedestrians on the bridge at the heart of the capital. Reports said the men then jumped out of the van and began stabbing people nearby.
The US President also commented on the fact that the attack did not feature firearms, in an apparent contribution to the US gun control debate.
He tweeted: “Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That’s because they used knives and a truck!”
Last night, as the news broke, Mr Trump used the atrocity to promote his travel ban against people from certain Muslim-majority countries.
This morning the Mayor of London issued a message of defiance in the face of terror, arguing that the general election should go ahead as planned on Thursday to show that Britain would never be “cowed” by terror.
“One of the great things about our way of life is our democracy,” he said.
“Elections are a wonderful thing and that’s one of the things that these terrorists hate and one of the things that we can do to show we’re not going to be cowed is by voting on Thursday and making sure that we understand the importance of our democracy, our civil liberties, and our human rights.”
Mr Trump’s intervention is the latest in a series of abrasive episodes between the US and UK following terror attacks on British soil. After the Westminster terror attack in March the US President’s son, who is named Donald Trump Jr, was called “disgraceful” after goading Mr Khan on social media and quoting him out of context.
US intelligence agencies also caused a row after the Manchester bombing last month after they repeatedly leaked information about the ongoing investigation into the attack to US media.
The leaks continued after an intervention by Home Secretary Amber Rudd, leading Theresa May to raise the issue with Donald Trump at a Nato summit in Brussels.
Greater Manchester Police ultimately suspended intelligence cooperation with the US on matters related to the incident.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies