Former Tory MP Harvey Proctor sues Metropolitan Police for £1m over false child sex abuse claims

Operation Midland was launched after a man, identified only as 'Nick', told police he had been raped and abused by a VIP paedophile ring

Lizzy Buchan
Political Correspondent
Saturday 05 May 2018 18:47
comments
Harvey Proctor: 'The police have destroyed my life'

A former Conservative MP who was falsely accused of child sex abuse is suing Scotland Yard and his accuser for more than £1m.

Harvey Proctor, 71, has lodged a High Court claim against the Metropolitan Police and the man, identified only as “Nick”, who sparked the Westminster sex abuse scandal by claiming he had been raped and abused by a VIP paedophile ring.

Operation Midland was launched in 2014 into historic allegations of child murder, rape and torture by senior figures in politics, the army and the security forces in the 1970s and 1980s – based largely on Nick’s allegations.

However, the £2.5m investigation collapsed without any arrests and Nick has since appeared in court charged with possession of indecent images of children.

Mr Proctor said the accusations and investigation have caused him to lose his “home, employment, reputation and other consequential losses including personal injury”.

He told Sky News: “The police have destroyed my life. It will not be, cannot be, the same as it was before.

“I’m certainly not the same person I was in 2015 and redress can never be, things can never be put right.”

Mr Proctor was investigated by police during the 18-month inquiry, but he was exonerated in 2016 after police found insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges.

An independent review criticised the police handling of the case. Scotland Yard has also apologised.

As part of their investigation, police raided the homes of prominent figures, including D-Day veteran Lord Bramall, the former chief of the defence staff, and the late ex-home secretary Lord Brittan.

The Metropolitan Police has already paid damages to Lord Bramall and to the family of Lord Brittan.

A spokesman said: “The Metropolitan Police Service has received a complaint and will be filing a defence.”

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments